Ted Huang's Starorion - 0R10N's 1988 Mitsuhishi Starion

xsspeed

Edit: This one, was jdm... so obvs way better... :P Weird fucking wheels though!

TBe5BmJ.jpg

Got rear ended by a retarded chick in a mirage/laser/similar at one point. I remember I was listening to stairway, strange what you remember. Minor ding, got repaired haha

• Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh it actually climbed a bit higher than that - to between 2/3 and 3/4 of the way up (5/7? lol). Didn't make that very clear in the original post.

Running around town it sits at about 1/3, and I've seen it rise to halfway then slowly go back down once the fans kick in when sitting at traffic lights, but today was the first time I'd seen it actually above what I'd consider a "safe" temperature.

Time for a proper water temp gauge? Most cars have a pretty arbitrary scale from factory :P

I would say the L200 radiator just isn't up to scratch. If it has BHG enough that it overheats you'll notice rough running, oil/coolant mixing or consumption and steam out the exhaust constantly. It could also be thermostat partially stuck closed or stuck right open causing the coolant to flow so fast that it doesn't get a chance to cool. 

Replace radiator and see how it goes. S13 radiators are roughly the same size too so you can even pick up a cheap aftermarket job should you wish to upgrade at some point.

• Like 2

Lovely purchase. I know you're all about the JDM, but the EX model Starion had some great features :-)

Atleast someone has already swapped the front bumper for a JDM one with the smaller license plate protrusion!

Tasty car, love the widebody wheels on the narrowbody.

I recently re-purchased my black car with the aim if turning it into a racecar for work. Should be fun to kick about in one again :-).

Cheers all. Yeah still learning the ropes with this Mitsubishi sorcery, but so far apart from the cooling system it's a pearler, mayte.

I'm surprised at how sweet it looks with the widebody wheels, smart move by whoever thought about doing that originally.

Oh man I'd fizz for a digital dash Cam, but that'd play havoc with the WOF and I can't be bothered swapping it out every 6 months :P I noticed the Japanese go nuts over the mph speedo, funny guys!

Good point about the temp sender Kicker - didn't even think about that. Assume it's the original one or at least the same type. And Phil, the car definitely isn't mixing its fluids nor chuffing/steaming, so I guess that's good peace of mind for now. Might also see if the thermostat was replaced along with the other sundries recently.

When I shut the car off (temp gauge reading normal) there isn't any odd gurgling or whooshing that would indicate a pressure problem either. It's a strange one, that's for sure.

I already managed to pick up a Starion radiator and fans Daryll, but I could consider a swap with cash my way for the L200 and custom setup. At least with the standard fans I can put the A/C back in and have the secondary fan turn on when the compressor is engaged.

It's probably too nice a car to wreck with a speedo swap TBH. And the big red flag in Carjam/WOF database that says "inconsistent odometer" might put some people off.

Oh and then there's the miles vs. kilometres thing to contend with, lawl.

Facelift Starion digi dashes are dope though. The central part is very similar to the one in my friend's V3000.

bzBZOoA.jpg

• Like 1

The lcd ones aren't a straight swap alas. Fuel sender and speedo sensor are different, plus a bunch of wiring changes, and the need for climate control hvac to make it all work factory like.

The earlier LED part digital dashes are really laggy in the tacho department, you can rev the engine, the dash will begin to register it pretty much as the engine returns to idle. What you want is the analogue tacho from a gsr-v, they redline at 7' and go to 9 . At least being an 88 you'll have a vaguely useful volt gauge instead of a perpetually broken amp gauge.

let me know if you have any issues with it, I've got a heap of parts still, and heaps of factory misty doc too.

• Like 1

Man welcome to the club! 

I agree with Fuel Re: the radiator, the factory cooling in these is excellent - mine is the older version with a clutch fan instead of the electric fans, and the only time it looked like running hot was because my thermostat died, it's been stable around 1/3 up the gauge ever since I got it.

That car is ridiculously tidy, the Widebody wheels are a nice score too. Must be time for an old school 80's meet this summer?

• Like 1

Nice to see another here, mine is a red replica of that with the same wheels but I'm using 8in shp fronts. How is the annoying reflection from the dash?

My other one has that digital dash but I'm no fan, doesn't go above 188 if I remember correctly so can't even finish 4th gear.

Wow so lush! I'd always liked them and then after spending some time around Zacs and following his build thread I really starting wanting one. You've done well (actually I dont know if it was cheap or spendy as the listing you put up has gone?) but it looks sweet and those wheels are choice.

What is your thing against NZ new? Is it just that the JDM ones are better equipped or something else?

Those seats are sooooooo lush. Supportive but also so squishy comfy looking.