• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

A bundle of sticks turned up on Friday, about half.. rest comes this week

IMAG2447_zpsqgey2oqr.jpg

Also big thanks to Glen aka lowtech for the stainless hookup.. for the same price as getting some brackets made up I was able to make the brackets and come out with a drill press, a tool that had been on my list for a while.. cheers bro

The brackets are to bolt the subfloor joists to the bearers, 12m of 65x65x6.5 down to this,

IMAG2441_zpsqhwyf38x.jpg

Bit of this, two bits and 160 odd holes later..

IMAG2449_zpsp915sdth.jpg

I made a Goldilocks..

IMAG2458_zpsmev8qkm7.jpg

All for these,

IMAG2457_zpsnfoe9cvb.jpg

This is the cheaper Bosch 13mm cobalt bit, was still going strong after 80+ holes, the other dearer bit bit the dust after about 65,

IMAG2459_zpsy9necfk3.jpg

And bought this little Bosch drill press, 700w laser marker, two speed variable chuck, and a sweet little digital depth gauge.. ate stainless like a boss..

IMAG2455_zpsgipvv1dd.jpg

Gonna get into the subfloor this Friday and maybe Sat after the McLean's mateswap..

• Like 9

I got it on account for $415.. should do everything I need it to.. all the other presses floor around the same price has clunky gearing and lots of chuck wobble, while this has a little wobble, the rest of the features outweigh it..

• Like 1

The last of the timber arrived on Tuesday, my first thought was I'd ordered to much but we soon used it up and I'm fact I had to make a run for another 5 sticks this arvo. Cut down the stumps to the right height and put the bearers up on Friday, was raining and windy most of the day which sucked. Had the day off yesterday and went to the swapmeet, and got back into it today. Was raining steadily by 11am which fucken sucked even more as I was out in it cutting up joists etc..

IMAG2501_zpsnmiznsng.jpg

IMAG2502_zps3u0wfr1z.jpg

Couldn't put some of the joists in as the styes are in the way, may be able to shift a couple so as to get more joists up, not that it matters really. The other thing is the nail pattern to laminate the joists together, according to S3604 I need to put 40 stainless nails per meter and for the center bearer which are triple laminated I need to use 40 120mm stainless nails per meter.. gonna ring the chippie who's signing it off and clarify the nail pattern tomorrow..

• Like 2

Put about 2ks worth of stainless shit in today.. including the brackets I made and about 250 bolts.. 

IMAG2566_zpscqjbjm8y.jpg

Looks like shiney brail.. 

IMAG2565_zps5ai1tbwy.jpg

IMAG2564_zpszdzwphnv.jpg

Spent most of the arvo moving styes around so we could get all the joists in which is terrif.. starting to think it might be more cost effective for me to drop the house myself instead of using smiths, just need to get a few more bottle jacks.

• Like 1

Who said you could use those domed coach bolts? We arnt allowed to use those up here anymore

Why not?

Didnt realise it was going to sit so far off the ground, have never seen a footing/pile arrangement like this before (probably should have paid more attention to earlier posts re flood zone and earthquake steez)

Yeah, there aren't many around.. takes an engineer willing to break the status quo and be an engineer rather than going for the standard type 2a/b

• Like 1

Why not?

Some desk jockeys decided that the dome heads will pull through if the timbers start separating so we need to always use normal engineering bolts with square washers both sides. The council up here pulled us up on it so maybe check if it's the same down there

Don't think so, the other house with the same style of found/subfloor as mine has coach head bolts and passed it's inspection.. coach bolt has a 30mm head if that starts to pull through I would imagine there'd be other problems..

• Like 1