Sorensin

So the plan is the cabinet is going to a wooden exterior, I purchased some recycled wooden rimu flooring, the flooring has been milled down and is 12mm thick so I also got some 6mm mdf sheets I can glue the rimu to the mdf and make a cabinet.

I spent some time making up a paper pattern of how I wanted this new cabinet to look, its similar to my original one but it isn't rounded anywhere all the edges are straight, the top is wider to accommodate for the 32" screen and the area where the controllers are is smaller.

hhn5elth.zaf.jpg

gbmpild4.sed.jpg

I then drew the patterns onto the 6mm mdf

ja0mphs5.oli.jpg

I then clamped tow pieces of mdf together and cut out the two sides of the bottom half of the cabinet

rx0qoswu.txe.jpg

Pieces of rimu were then glued together with some PVA

vo5qnpnj.5oj.jpg

dj03bhd2.bwu.jpg

nwg2psxu.mp3.jpg
  • Like 2

Very cool, brother used to have all this stuff, might even have some buttons left over. Should have a look see if there's anything.

You could multi purpose and run a raspberrypi setup as well through the TV, get some PS3 controllers too and then you can play anything else that might tickle ya fancy

• Like 1

Neat! Have you seen these?

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLice_sU_6Rfhw7LK-tl8A8u1XYQKeuFri

Has some cool ideas.

Following your thread with interest.

Hey I have seen Pi before as I'm a Nintendo fan boy and follow a few Nintendo groups where these have popped up.  I havn't looked into trying to run both Pi and Jamma but I know I want to run Jamma but I may look into how messy it would be to have the one cabinet run both.

Thanks for the interest.

Took the first side of the base and glued up some rimu sections(3-4boards already glued together) together and to the base, clamped them all down and put some weight on them.  I have realized how slow and painful this build is going to be, clamping time with a lack of space and clamps is killing me.

dcpqza3l.fuq.jpg

gk20qcjx.pjc.jpg

diojld4s.qyk.jpg

While waiting for this to dry I went out and purchased some more mdf 18x600x1800, this is going to be used for the pieces you won't see eg the base of the unit and the horizontal pieces between the top and bottom half of the cabinet, this mdf is near perfect as the bottom half I'm going to use the 600 as the width between the two side so it's already cut perfectly square for me.  I also went shopping around for a good screw :) while I didn't find exactly what I was after I found these reasonably sweet torx head screws.

• Like 1

So spent some time this weekend working on the cabinet.

Have pretty much completed the two bottom side pieces (need a couple little cuts and some sanding).

nkaz0ymx.xfx.jpg

vlq5mrp3.mhx.jpg

Glued plenty of panel together and glued them to a side of a top piece

4bg0j1a0.m4u.jpg

pzkdujtj.cjj.jpg

bvmdqdkj.xxq.jpg

Because the cabinet is made from recycled flooring glued to thin mdf I can't really just screw or nail the outer pieces together to make the cabinet so I started making a frame for the bottom half of the cabinet aswell.  This cabinet is going to way a ton when its finished the frame isn't light and neither are the side pieces .

g0epyxnq.rkj.jpg

So you might be thinking, wow that's weird shouldn't one of those pieces he's made up be a mirror image of the other and not facing the same way... well I to was thinking the same thing when i put them next to each other... I really balls'd this one up.  

This evening is a little depressing, I cut out the sides to the top piece to discover I had glued one onto the mdf backwards, this was past just a little annoying as there was a few afternoons of gluing and clamping there and i don't have a huge amount of the rimu flooring spare and it's a real effort and expense for me to try get more.  Just incase that wasn't enough I came on here to put my my almost non existent progress to see that I had forgotten tonights monthly meet.

tb4oiavt.cpt.jpg

update pic of the bottom half of the cabinets frame complete.

• Like 1

Dude I feel for you! Im just going to say tho, the workmanship looks rad! This is going to be pretty cool indeed. I own an old school street fighter cabinet somewhere. I often forget about that lol.

Keen to see final product. Once again, sorry to read about your miss hap. Wouldn't be the first person for sure!

Remove the wood from the mdf as careful as possible then light sand where it was glued and flip the wood and glue to a new piece of mdf.

(Opposite to original glued side)

Will give you a mirror image of what you got now.

Messy- yes

Time consuming -yes.

But may save ya buying more wood panels

would work it you turned up upside down wouldn't it?

This wouldn't work at all even if I made a new top piece, the angle of the front face is steeper than the angle on the back piece, I considered seeing if I could cut it all down a little to get two pieces that would work but they end up a little small for what I'd like.

I just have to remake a piece, it's not that bad was just very frustrated at the time.

Remove the wood from the mdf as careful as possible then light sand where it was glued and flip the wood and glue to a new piece of mdf.

(Opposite to original glued side)

Will give you a mirror image of what you got now.

Messy- yes

Time consuming -yes.

But may save ya buying more wood panels

I could try this but I don't like my chances the PVA is amazing and the wood breaks before the glue lets go on the joins, the only hope would be that the MDF breaks off just a little bit leaving some on the wood.  That's the best case scenario and even if that happens I have to hope the glue that will be on the wood paneling won't effect the stain that's going to go on it.

Could you trim both to be symmetrical? Frame will need adjusting obviously, but that is easier / cheaper than remaking one side perhaps?

I looked at that, it ends up a little small for what I'd like it to be, I was considering running a 27" screen for a while and if I did that I'd be fine but I'd prefer to be running a 32"

Thanks for all the ideas, I think the best answer is to just grow a pair stop winging and make another piece, I don't want to compromise the desired end result over it.