Bugatti T57/59 engine

danger

Looked very similar but it had the cowls off so couldn't 100% confirm. In a way the radiator looked smaller, and the wheels were dished differently, quite true to the originals. He'd done an amazing job of hiding the discs in fake drums and I think he'd sourced original headlights and whatnot. He also had the distributor set up in the dash as per original and could manual advance or retard it with the adjacent lever. He has a couple of Morgans, one with an S&S engine, another with a hot rodded CX500 engine, a TR3 a couple of other things under tarps. Supreme Barry of the Finestkind.

• Like 1

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2020 at 15:07, nzstato said:

I'm not sure if I've posted this previously...

Its a T35 'replica', one of 3?  Acorn Schroeder here in NZ, is actually a monocoque body an has alfa running gear.  There are 'cappings' on the boat tail which you can remove to bolt in a roll cage

https://www.allcarindex.com/production/new-zealand/acorn/schroeder/

A writeup on one of the other chassis https://drivetribe.com/p/kiwi-built-bugatti-is-art-on-wheels-ZU4S4mJsR8GBAFx-wDniiA?iid=FdBMFnhvT0KY6pfZnwkOQw

Owned by a friend of mine, its an absolute blast to drive...

84513533_10219018655730858_3489253150920015872_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=bEUtRZACSQ4AX9ITIm_&_nc_ht=scontent.fwlg3-1.fna&oh=c7e19917839871374065f5dfcaf5533e&oe=5EF49B7B

Yeah its quite far off the original. Everyone has different standards though I guess.

Still probably fun to drive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Matt G said:

Apologies  if youve been already asked but, is it not economic to just 3D print the metal parts?

so much time making those molds i bet.

Possibly on some smaller parts like the supercharger or waterpump. Maaaaybe!

I dont know the cost of Aluminium printing now but when I was doing SS printing it was about $1000/kg.

The sump/crankcase are around 20-30kg and would have to be done in multiple pieces and welded together.

This camtree part is 5kg and cost $100 to pour. Means once its right they are super cheap.

A rough estimate on the cost to do this part:

• Modeling and pattern design - 250hrs
  • Pattern Printing - $50 material
  • Pattern /corebox prep - 50hrs & $100 material
  • Sand Mould making - 15hrs
  • Sand Mould cost - $20
  • Pour part - $100

So total its taken about 300hrs and $200 to make 1.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Basically I find it pretty hard to justify spending $thousands on one off parts. I might as well spend that money on a tool I can use for lots of parts.

Example. To pay someone to make regular patterns for just the crankcase (MDF cnc) was going to be $13K. To pay someone to print just the crankcase patterns was $10K.

So instead I bought a massive printer for $10K and printed every pattern for the engine for about $1000 material. 

• Like 9

excellent news on the good casting result.

have made many patterns and tried to get castings to work in various sizes and levels of complexity before and i know how hard/frustrating it can be so great work man.

the foundry you're using look like they know their shit too which always helps. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, sheepers said:

excellent news on the good casting result.

have made many patterns and tried to get castings to work in various sizes and levels of complexity before and i know how hard/frustrating it can be so great work man.

the foundry you're using look like they know their shit too which always helps. 

They know what theyre doing so that does help. Usually the answer is "you could change X Y and Z and that might help, or it might make it worse you just gotta try it." :grin:

One of the awesome things with the foundries over here is they are pouring 24/7. I just drive up and take the mould right to the furnace and fill it up straight away! NZ wasnt quite like that!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sheepers said:

Yea the old "suck it and see" method of production improvement,  60% of the time it works every time.

And yes you'd be hard pressed to find a foundry they you could just walk up to the door and get your mould poured straight away. 

Definitely open to some advice on the big stuff if you want to help?

Im getting a better understanding of the runner system but on the big stuff like the crankcase theres so much going on (and its so big I dont want to mess it up too many times)

All I can tell you is feed it. 

Put in way more risers then you think and make the Ingate how the foundry tell you, apart from that it really is a case of just trying it and seeing what happens. 

Maybe use  bigger filters thn you think too?

Each foundryman is going to have their own way of doing things and most of the time,  if they're any good,  they'll know what they're on about.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...