• 1 month later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, datlow said:

Close. But the bigend journal size is too small. Also are they bearing type not split?

The problem im finding is that generally the longer the rod is the bigger the journal size. So 7in rods have about 2in journal

Theres a lot of American stuff thats close but would like to find something metric.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghostchips said:

How hard would it be to re-form a rod to fit?
I have a few T conrods i'll likely never use.

Definitely an option. Could bore the bigend and skim the width. If the bigend is smaller than 49mm without the babbitt and the width is bigger than 35mm.

Thanks for the offer. What are the measurements on them?

Ive just bought a full set of T57 rods, piston and rings!

Ebay for super cheap so couldnt resist.

Most likely not going to use them but will help with sizing. Also pretty cool to have an original set.

My plan now is to keep the journal diameters the same but reduce the width of the bigend to something standard. There are all sorts of options for both Main and Bigend if I do that. Ill change the crankshaft to suit bearings and lip seals and for a more modern machining process. I will do custom rods to suit the original pistons (worst come to worse there is a supplier for new pistons at $500ea.). Custom rods a more feasible if I have a standard width.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.fc22e43c17b1552abb5e4d47d27da851.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, flyingbrick said:

That seems like the most unlikely item to find for sale... how many of those engines were made?

A bit over 700 cars. Dont know how many engines or spares but probably not many more than that. Probably not very many in America!

Lucky because I dont religiously check ebay for Bugatti parts.

Hopefully they turn up! 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/02/2020 at 00:04, NickJ said:

Sounds similar to heavy diesel bearings that we utilise in the machines we build, but I guess you've already checked out applicable catalogues? 

What machines do you build? Refering to truck/car diesel engines or something else?

Ive found that tractors have a really good selection and are wide. Just havnt found 45mm yet.

7 hours ago, Not-a-number said:

What machines do you build? Refering to truck/car diesel engines or something else?

Ive found that tractors have a really good selection and are wide. Just havnt found 45mm yet.

Cryocoolers/gas liquefiers, the bottom end is pretty much a large compressor and uses heavy diesel shell bearings.

The catalogues make great evening reading.....

Are the shell bearings available for the rods you purchased?

58 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Cryocoolers/gas liquefiers, the bottom end is pretty much a large compressor and uses heavy diesel shell bearings.

The catalogues make great evening reading.....

Are the shell bearings available for the rods you purchased?

Do the catalogs have bearing sizes by chance?

I need 45x48x31. I havnt found any bearings yet but obviously some sort of engine must have them. These ones dont have any numbers on them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Not-a-number said:

Do the catalogs have bearing sizes by chance?

I need 45x48x31. I havnt found any bearings yet but obviously some sort of engine must have them. These ones dont have any numbers on them.

https://www.miba.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Divisionen/Bearing/Miba_Engine_Bearing_Catalogue_2018-2019.pdf

I wish you all the best on your quest, may ctrl-f be your friend.

Most catalogues list by engine so finding by size will require a fresh cup of tea.

• 2 months later...

On my travels today I found myself in a little Newton basement where a fella was working on a Bugatti rep. I don't know enough about them and didn't ask the model, but it was running a 3S toyota engine and not far off finished. He told me a bit of the story about acquiring it and having bought it off the guy who started it who he'd known for years. Is there a secret Bugatti underground?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Bronze said:

On my travels today I found myself in a little Newton basement where a fella was working on a Bugatti rep. I don't know enough about them and didn't ask the model, but it was running a 3S toyota engine and not far off finished. He told me a bit of the story about acquiring it and having bought it off the guy who started it who he'd known for years. Is there a secret Bugatti underground?

I'm not sure if I've posted this previously...

Its a T35 'replica', one of 3?  Acorn Schroeder here in NZ, is actually a monocoque body an has alfa running gear.  There are 'cappings' on the boat tail which you can remove to bolt in a roll cage

https://www.allcarindex.com/production/new-zealand/acorn/schroeder/

A writeup on one of the other chassis https://drivetribe.com/p/kiwi-built-bugatti-is-art-on-wheels-ZU4S4mJsR8GBAFx-wDniiA?iid=FdBMFnhvT0KY6pfZnwkOQw

Owned by a friend of mine, its an absolute blast to drive...

84513533_10219018655730858_3489253150920015872_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=bEUtRZACSQ4AX9ITIm_&_nc_ht=scontent.fwlg3-1.fna&oh=c7e19917839871374065f5dfcaf5533e&oe=5EF49B7B

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1