Bugatti T57/59 engine

danger

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work! What post finishing process are you using on the 3d prints? They look great, keep up the good work. 

I've been playing around with some aluminium casting using 3d printed patterns. Are you using nomograms to work out your filler & feeder systems? Made quite a big difference to my castings actually going to the trouble of specifying the gate, runner, sprue top & bottom areas. Although I'm investment casting down to 3mm wall thickness so likely a bit more picky than sand. 

Nice work! What post finishing process are you using on the 3d prints? They look great, keep up the good work. 

I've been playing around with some aluminium casting using 3d printed patterns. Are you using nomograms to work out your filler & feeder systems? Made quite a big difference to my castings actually going to the trouble of specifying the gate, runner, sprue top & bottom areas. Although I'm investment casting down to 3mm wall thickness so likely a bit more picky than sand. 

On the patterns that need a good finish I print at 0.14-0.19, inner patterns that you cant see I do 0.25-0.4. Rip into it with 120grit then I spray it with acetone. Usually you use acetone to make it stronger but in this case it seals the plastic really well so when you spray it with a primer it works mint.  Then give it a 600grit.

The sand doesnt pick up that much detail so you can be pretty rough with the finish. Then give it a wax mould release and good to go.

I havnt used any programs for working out the runner system. Ive got some good casting books that give a couple of formulas and rules. Iv pretty much just done what theyve said and its been working.

Ive now got a good ratio for runner size vs volume for iron and ali. This will be the first bronze one.

Thanks, I guess you are using ABS? PLA doesn't smooth very well with any solvents I have found unfortunately. Your patterns look so pretty compared to my junk haha. 

What grade aluminium ingot are you using? Any plans for heat treating before machining or is it hard enough fresh that it will machine okay? 

Thanks, I guess you are using ABS? PLA doesn't smooth very well with any solvents I have found unfortunately. Your patterns look so pretty compared to my junk haha. 

What grade aluminium ingot are you using? Any plans for heat treating before machining or is it hard enough fresh that it will machine okay? 

Yeah ABS.

Ali is LM25 which machines pretty well as it is or can be heat treated. I havnt had any heat treated so dont know the difference in machining.

Investment casting is a little different since you have to get all the gas out properly. Im guessing youre casting into the PLA or do you burn/melt it out first?

Yeah I do a burnout. I don't think casting straight into the PLA would work unless it was very thin shell or something. Takes a decent amount to burn PLA. 

I'm using plaster based investment so yeah venting is very critical. Ceramic is awesome from what I understand, just a pain how much more labour is involved building up ceramic shells. Also I believe PLA doesn't work with ceramic as it expands too much during burnout and cracks the shell.  

7 hours ago, avengertiger said:

That's been around a bit over the last few years. Bit expensive for a broken one with no history!

I'll sell you one of mine for half that!

• Like 1

Talking to an old boy at the pub today, said he knows of a complete engine in Christchurch. Auto restorations did a car for someone, the motor in was not correct for that year. So they brought another one. Also said he has many contacts and address for bits. Not a computer user, or cell phone user. Totally old school. Can give you his land line number if you want?

• Like 1

this just popped up on the faceballs : relevant to thread?

edit : dang link wont work for me / spam?

11063612_820503571358092_731043937379529

Art Deco Bugatti from 1937, spent 48 years catching dust in a garage, then it sold for $4 Million

& this guy seems to know his stuff

Roger Bailey A type 57 Bugatti Atalante Coupe of about 1935-38 vintage. Whilst all of Ettore Bugatti's creations are considered iconic, the type 57 holds a special place amongst collectors and aficionados alike, especially the type 57SC Atlantic coupe of which there are only 3. It's worth mentioning that there are several type 57s held at the famous Schlumph museum at Mulhouse, France, in addition to many other types of Bugatti.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, flyingbrick said:

55kg! Jesus! 

Does it still need a flywheel? :shock:

You can see this one doesnt even have any counter weighting. Its just round! The later ones were counter weighted and weigh about 35kg. Still a monster!

Has a multiplate clutch which I guess acts like a flywheel.

yS9v1oX.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, yetchh said:

Shit there's some meat in those bores..

That photo is with the bores undersize. They then go in with another tool to size it and do the combustion chamber bowl. Then there is about 4-5mm on the walls. Really prone to cracking so I have thickened things a bit.

• Like 3