Gav's 200sx RPS13 1JZGTE of race car.

~Slideways~

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested to hear (literally) how you get on.

I went with a HX35 for my (non vvti) 1JZ, but you are much closer to having it running (dam you!).

I also went with 25nb for my manifold, although due to space constraints I used a Tri-Y style with short 25nb primaries into 15º merge collector 32nb secondaries up to the twin scroll flange, with a 44mm EWG (split up to the vavle face). Fingers crossed it works out OK.

Slightly OT, it that your old chaser that is for sale (again) on the tard at the moment.

[ps. Mad props for getting all this done whilst being a new dad, I know what that is like, albeit without getting anywhere near are far as you have]

• Like 1

E30 that's interesting that you've also used 25nb, it's ID is close to the Vvti ports but the non vvti had much bigger exhaust ports, it should also speed up the exhaust gas velocity to spool anyway. It'll work eitherway so it'll be good to compare how they go, I think yours is likely to breath better at the top end so probably higher peak power, while mine will hopefully respond better down low and vvti should help with mid range torque. Well in theory anyway.

Have you got a project thread?

I was thinking about using a single large wastegate too, with the same idea of splitting it up to the wastegate face, but wasn't confident I could get a perfect seal.

So opted for using two wastegates, only problem is space and trying to design it so it doesn't crack. I'll probably end up with a removable y-pipe with a v band close to the downpipe. I wanted to try fit a flexi between the wastegates and the downpipe but I don't think it'll fit.

Yeah it has been hard juggling doing this and baby stuff, some days have just turned to shit haha. Sometimes I just have to drop tools half way through and not pick them up again for a week or so. 'Where the fck is that ratchet?!'

Or when my rotary tool stops working while smoothing out the manifold ports, and I can't get to a hardware store until the next Saturday. Buy a Dremel brand one, the. It ducking stops working after 15min, gaaaahhhh fcking fck I don't have time for this! Bath time is in 20min! Haha

I swear everything I go to the garage I spend most of my time either trying to remember what I was up to, or as you say finding tools.

Re:Porta, the non vvti ports aren't that big it's just they are sliced on the angle making them look larger (oval). If you cut the 25nb on 30deg angle it a pretty close match.

There was a really interesting thread on toy mods many years ago about runner sizes, and recall something like 25nb was good for 400cc, the 1jz is only just over that so thought it was worth a go.

Oh yeah e30 yes it's my Chaser on Trademe, I've been advertising it for 3-4 months now. I've had heaps of interest but not one has actually come to check it out. I've dropped the price a couple of times even though multiple people have said the old price was good and better than others on the market.

I'm guessing people are scared of the high km's, I daily drove it for 4 years and it drives like a new one. But people are still stuck in the way of thinking the a car can't do more than 100,000km I suppose.

I swear everything I go to the garage I spend most of my time either trying to remember what I was up to, or as you say finding tools.

Re:Porta, the non vvti ports aren't that big it's just they are sliced on the angle making them look larger (oval). If you cut the 25nb on 30deg angle it a pretty close match.

There was a really interesting thread on toy mods many years ago about runner sizes, and recall something like 25nb was good for 400cc, the 1jz is only just over that so thought it was worth a go.

Haha yes! So frustrating. At least now I'm semi concentrating on the one project, it was a mess with 3 cars worth of stuff.

Oh really? So it's the angle then? That's really interesting! I can see that making sense since on the vvti the four inner ports are perfect circles while the two outer most ones with the most angle are ovals but not as much as the non vvti it seems.

Did you have a project thread for yours? Im on the mobile version so maybe you have a link in a signature that I can't see...

Edit: change to full site and can see the link

Oh yeah e30 yes it's my Chaser on Trademe, I've been advertising it for 3-4 months now. I've had heaps of interest but not one has actually come to check it out. I've dropped the price a couple of times even though multiple people have said the old price was good and better than others on the market.

I'm guessing people are scared of the high km's, I daily drove it for 4 years and it drives like a new one. But people are still stuck in the way of thinking the a car can't do more than 100,000km I suppose.

The leaky valve stem seals wont be helping either (can see it puffing smoke in the video when you get on throttle). Sucks that the JZ suffer from that issue.

Never noticed the weird port spacing on the VVTI heads. This is a pretty sweet project.

Yeah it's why 1J vvti stuff is hard to find, I don't think Ebay cheap chinese manifolds are even a thing.

Sinco make one but its 32nb pipe and costs about 5 times as much as this one cost me to make (unless I charge myself labour haha).

This thread Makes me happy.

I have a 8month old and have been kicking myself to get more progress on the car. As for know it's hard. Looking at the timelines on this your progress has been steady and on about on pat with what I had planned. So it's good to know someone else is working in the same restraints as my self

F and getting g work done.

It's definitely a case of taking any time you can, but have to be fair about it. Wife needs some time for her own sanity.

Also have to be ready to drop tools at any time and not get back to it for another week at least.

And turning down social stuff so I can work on my race car has been pretty common haha

• 2 weeks later...

Have been doing the odd thing when I have the time.

One was cutting out a flange for the factory O2 sensor to weld into the down pipe. Turned out pretty well, I used thick steel so I could cut the head off two bolts and weld them to the flange. No pics of that yet.

Have also made a flange for the oil return, started drilling holes but then the boy needed to go down for a nap. Dad life.

But here is the manifold with both wastegates fitted:

4D4F4493-43C6-4894-90E2-E0F9438719FD_zps

I kept the oil cooler and remote filter set up from my old race car, it was pretty much new. I might change the location of the oil filter at some stage but for now it is all mounted and the cooler fits nicely between radiator and intercooler:

F7BBE5F7-3DDE-4B76-991F-C1801185525A_zps

Remote filter location (possibly temporary). Also need to get that throttle body tig welded:

9CEC37B7-B58A-42BC-BCEF-A83FC8972AA2_zps

I took the overfenders off to send a photo to a guy about possibly painting it early next year. You can see the rivnuts I used to mount the fibreglass:

ADEA35B6-7D7F-4E5D-B860-33556FCF311E_zps

Wing, only a couple of button head bolts in to test clearance to overfenders:

A25A7E49-5C90-48C5-A524-EE62D3ED9DCA_zps

Rear arches cut and welded for wide wheels:

DA65020B-56AA-408B-84BE-163106C622FB_zps

• Like 1

I've now finished the twin wastegate returns, which kind of looks like a mini downpipe of its own. It is two 40mm wastegates merging into a 2.25" pipe which then joins the main 3.5" downpipe at a good angle for flow:

F16C51CD-B621-4454-9335-21391CEE6209_zps

Downpipe is 3.5" made from pie cuts and wrapped in titanium heat wrap.

D8260D25-3979-44C7-A091-257719A41597_zps

Spent a lot of time making the wastegate return enter the main downpipe at a good spot while still being possible to fit it all. I originally wanted to fit a 2.25" ID flexi into the wastegate return but the one I had was too long. I know you can get short ones but I just made it with out, while having a straight section that I can cut out and replace with a short flexi if needed. But with the bends and v-band joints I am hoping there is enough room for expansion to not crack. 

18344076-3953-4EA9-A71D-C7B5EED92CCF_zps

There will be a 3.5" flexi right after the v-band on the end of the downpipe. Thats next up.

• Like 5