Ghost

Another minor fault is the Indicator/headlight/horn stalk, indicating right does not stay on and the whole "stalk" rotates around (front to back) for some reason.

Took me a while to figure out what vehicle this unit came out of however I have come to the conclusion that it is from a late 70's to mid 80's Mini!

post-10005-0-77116900-1471685515_thumb.jpg

The right indicator would not stay on because the custom made fibreglass housing was in the way, on further investigation I found that the whole indicator unit was rotating on the steering column, the plastic clamp had split...

post-10005-0-27127200-1471685658_thumb.jpg

Should not be too hard to get hold of a brand new unit, i'm sure the car deserves one after 30 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Had the car over the pit last week, found it has developed a fuel leak (not good in a car made of nice burnable material..) and a few minor oil leaks.

Also found that the rubber mounts for the transmission and suspension had perished (making a nice vibration over 3000 RPM)

Got it jacked up ready for next week:

post-10005-0-82281000-1474785328_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Made a little more progress this week, removed the carb and found it was the source of the fuel leak (rubber diaphragm split).

Also removed some of the perished rubber mounts for the transaxle and suspension.

Hopefully I should start getting the replacement parts over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got a chance to get the new carb back on yesterday afternoon, engine is now running again (still need to figure out how to get the adjustments on the carb right as it is still running a bit rich)

New rubber mounts were also installed and appear to have resolved the vibration!

Still a few more suspension issues to sort out but at least the car is finally on the ground again.

post-10005-0-81107300-1482528787_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Still having a little trouble tuning the carb, I am sure this was blocked off before it was sent away however doing so now makes it run rough?

Carb in question is a Weber 34 ADF:

post-10005-0-95916200-1482628077_thumb.jpg

I have never had any experience tuning carbs before, all my other cars are fuel injected (and just work)...

post-10005-0-23888100-1482627925_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...