Shakotoms AX100.

Shakotom

After commuting to and from work on my FA50 and having a few close calls with angry drivers who seem to think that because of the size of it (irrespective of the fact that im doing 50 kmh in a 50kmh zone and the number plate on the back), that they need to be infront of me at all times and have almost had elbows clipped by mirrors ect even when riding right in the center of the lane. I decided I wanted a larger small bike. Something up to a max of 150cc, it HAD to be two stroke and have a full tube style frame with a downtube and wire spoked wheels. I also decided that a Suzuki would be preferable to keep it in the family with my other two FA50s.

So I ended up buying this off Tard Me as it sat in the photo below

28204258543_7f638d87c8_z.jpg

• Like 4

I had to replace a couple of things on the bike and after recieving appalling service from a local suzuki dealer (Who after calling them, Emailing them bike details and a list of parts I required as THEY requested and them making follow up calls to check they received my email - which they did. and I Still haven't heard back from them) went to Botany Honda who organised parts for my Suzuki and they were ready to collect the next day.

I replaced the battery and the rectifier as a terminal was broken off, a bunch of bulbs and a few other things.

After my instagram feed starting to be full of sweet motorbikes, I started to quite like the 'tracker?' style

13768082_1064520633633622_426034842_n.jp

pic from @looneylow off instagram

With that and the fact that I got fed up with the bars on the bike as they kept smacking the tank - had already dented it prior to me getting the bike. I came across a set of old MX bars from a old bike project that were the correct clamp diameter for the mounts, Decided to swap them on.

28819216355_9bace4875d_z.jpg

Super wide and gives a much more comfortable riding position over the super narrow flat bars that were on the bike. PLUS FADED ANO PINK FOR LIFE

As you can see in the original Image of the bike, The side covers had been removed which put the BRIGHT YELLOW battery right on display. after using cardboarded aided design , I ended up with asymmetrical covers for each side of the bike to cover the gap. Left hand needed a cut out for the filter and right hand needs to cover the battery

28742479991_a9bde52652_z.jpg

Grabbed some old perspex and went chop chop with the jigsaw and EXTREMELY crudely cut out some numbers from the same vinyl that I cut stickers out of for Manus monkey bike to get a Idea of my plan

28787398706_54c8639cb4_z.jpg

Also, I had partially disassembled the bike to clean out the tank and decided to remove the Suzuki lettering to make the bike more mine. 

28742477821_b5de7f5e04_z.jpg

Chucked some pinstripes on the tank as it looked a bit plain with nothing on there. Probably gonna take them off and redo or something in the future.

Also decided that the seat that was on the bike was too long, so chopped up some wood to start figuring out proportions. 

28204276233_467ebf3ab0_z.jpg

Seat will probably end up shorter than the frame, But not quite committed/skilled enough to hoop the back of it just yet.

Will it need cert as it will probably end up way stiffer/stronger than the original two single tubed design?

Looking into changing out the yuck rectangular head light for a circular one, (But being 6V unsure what one to get to suit bulbs ectect) and probably a fatter front tyre than the one thats on there. I think its 100 r18 at present, but theres still clearance for wider.

• Like 7

i was always intruiged by that aution, $1 reserve from a dealer claiming no warranties or whatever. i just assumed it was cos someone traded it in and it wasnt of value to put on the lot.
tf125 headlights are small and fit all the wiring in easy and are 6v too. being as common as a honda 4 wheeler on farms super cheap for parts. think i paid 30 for mine. 
a 3.00x18 will rub on the front fender but you can grind away the part that rubs so i would run a set of those. 

and like chris said on ig a cb or cg125 tank would look dope

looks cool mayne looking forward to progress!

Yeah that's pretty much the story behind it, guy traded it on a bigger bike and shop decided it wasn't suitable for sale on the floor. To my uneducated bike knowledge, it rides sweet and appears to be in good knick so I'm fairly happy with it.

I think this is the bike that you posted a image of earlier on in your thread as inspiration/made me be like damn, AX100s are cool ect

I might have to go hit up local Honda dealer and talk lights/bulbs, I was looking at this

https://trademe.co.nz/1136127869

But unsure about bulbs.

Have removed front fender at present, so heaps of room for tyres, but it has a fairly new Pirelli on the front so lights ect are probably gonna take my money for now.

Also need to get around to getting that pesky license thing that I probably should have....

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

am having issues with lighting wiring backfeeding on one position of ignition switch and draining the battery. It appears as well as the previous owner wiring the rear light up backwards, it has a 12 wire Ignition switch fitted that has all 12 wires connected up to different wires. This doesn't appear to match the below wiring diagram. So am looking for a new correct 10 wire Ignition switch, as each position in the fitted switch doesn't correspond to what the wiring diagram below shows.

I think this appears correct? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/motorcycle-scooter-electic-ignition-switch-igntion-lock-set-electric-power-door-lock-AX100-for-suzuki-100cc/32569891286.html?spm=2114.40010508.4.106.9eXPVs

Mean while, Im currently going to start working through the wiring as I need to get this lighting sorted by the end of the month as the WOF is due.

For reference.

720ppp.jpg

also, Because this is an 05 model are there any specific requirements towards lighting having to be always on? I vageuly remember reading something along these lines somewhere but cant find it again

Sometimes I forget that I can fix things and dont always have to buy new parts to fix a problem. After ringing suzuki and getting told the price of a new ignition switch and nearly spitting out my drink/it's still two weeks away

Spent some time today at work printing off multiple copies of wiring diagrams and highlighting stuff, Then tonight dismantled the switch, Wrote notes of what has continuity to where in which position. unsoldered all the wires, Disposed of one and re assembled with connections in the right positions

So now I have one correctly functioning ten wire switch.

29385247412_d012fe61b8_c.jpg

Total cost: 3x Coronas

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Prehaps, Seat will probably be a while away at present.

Bike is currently looking like this.

29712861166_a019133709_c.jpg

removed some of the unnecessary wiring, fixed some wires. Have got a new (old) headlight here for it. Going to get that mounted up and change wiring to suit.

Waiting on some levers to turn up because I managed to snap the Front Brake housing lever tying to put the brake light switch in...

Then WOFs due this month

As I said, I purchased a new headlight for the AX100. 

Slamtrailer I built came in super handy

29723450626_520426cdf0_c.jpg

It came with a Non-running Suzuki TF125.    Oops.

29466931610_4bc0016ef4_c.jpg

Just out of curiosity before I relist the rest for sale, I pulled the carb off, cleaned out all the gum/gunk out of it. Chucked some fresh two stroke mix in the tank and gave it a couple of kicks and it started and idled smooooooth.

Unfortunately pulling the clutch lever doesnt seem to disengage the clutch and when holding it in, and going to put it in gear you get the metallic tinktinktink noise of gears starting to touch each other and just forcing it into gear causes the bike to lurch and stall.

Might spend an hour or so, pull the cover off and check the clutch to see if its toast or just stuck... 

Its a TF125 I purchased as a non runner for the headlight to chuck on my AX100. appears to be an ex farm bike

I pulled the headlight off it, and dummied it up to see what it will look like on AX 

29746899051_2cff77f7e4_c.jpg

So much nicer than that yuck rectangular light it has standard.

Reassembled AX with the original light after getting all the lights to work properly. Fitted the Front brake lever that turned up.  Took it for a WOF and passed!

Actually taking it out to get a WOF was the first time Ive ridden it further than up and down my street. The width of the bars feels so much nicer than the narrow drag bars it came with, It has a lot more go than the 50cc scooters Im used to and just feels awsome to cruise the streets on!
Was clock watching all day looking forward to riding it home!

29203595923_d1be82bb3b_c.jpg

YAY

Also, Pulled the covers off the side of the TF125, cleaned out a heap of dirt. And after advice from you lot, managed to get it started in gear and rode it a bit and freed up the clutch. So much more torque than the AX. Im talking I nearly fell off the back of it after giving it a bit much gas then almost ran into the house in the doing as the throttles a bit sticky / no front brake lever (broken) / rear brake rod bent so brakes dont work

bars on this thing were more bent than a bent thing.

29202430144_7f85c1c4b6_c.jpg

Foreman from work kindly donated some slightly less bent bars, So I swapped them on.

29202499594_c1096d3a1f_c.jpg

Seeing as Ive removed all the lights, I may as well remove any wiring that isnt needed to make it run. Can I just disconnect the wiring at the connector from the motor to remove all the wiring? or do I need to put in something to consume some voltage/ put load on the system to not wreck the engine electrics???

So whens dirt masters?....

• 2 weeks later...

Jyeah, That would be rad.

Ive removed all the lighting/wiring that it doesnt need to run from the TF, replaced the seat with a almost mint second hand item as the base was rusted out/material was torn. This allowed me to get the latch working also.

I pulled the spacers out from under the front guard and raised that up as well as removing the mudflaps. 
Covered it in degreaser and left it to soak for close to 24 hours. Then waterblasted all the gunk off it.

(Having the waterblaster out caused me to get carried away and I ended up waterblasting the houses deck - looks waaaay better)

I removed and straightened the rear brake rod and the bash plate. 

29432205623_2e802ea18e_c.jpg

Looks a bit different/better ay....

Ive ridden this around the street a bit and seems to run sweet. Clutch Issues are disappearing with use. And it likes lifting the front wheel off the ground in first and second... SCARY.

In the doing so, Its broken another spoke in the front wheel and the wheel bearings got a bit of play/ rims got heaps of run out. So am on the lookout for a replacement better front wheel asm.

I need to pull the rear wheel off and investigate why the rear brakes stick.

• Like 3