impact drivers/rattle guns - knowledge me up.

sheepers

I have got two Hitachi guns. Both half inch. I highly rate them both. The smaller one is good for the majority of stuff (used to be auto sparky) and it's nice and light. The big unit is a bit on the heavy side but I have rattled quite a few crank pulleys off no sweat with it. I'll find part numbers when I get home

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makita is really only used by fan boys these days or people who are stuck with them as they already have other cordless Makita tools.

So think about which brand you buy because this could also determine what future tools you get.

If you buy Milwaukee then you can use those Milwaukee batteries for other tools which you can buy 'naked' making future tool purchases cheaper. So don't just check for this one tool but look at what other tools you can use with your batteries. For example Makita does a cordless coffee machine. Their only semi decent tool.

Some brands are better than others, but unless you are using it commercially every day then almost any of the suggested tools will work.

Another thing to remember is that tool brands have the same dedicated fans in the same way cars do. A holden fan will always bag a Ford because fan boy. Even when the reality is holden's are shit and ford's are cool.

My point is take emotional views away and focus on facts.

Personally I use brushless Dewalt stuff as it is the best.

Also Makita is shit.

Just saying.

I calibrated a Hitachi rattle gun that

was used to tighten wheel nuts on a v8 touring car at the end of the season found it averaged 17nm. Scary shit. One of shitter maybe? Not sure. Thank god they hit it with a torque wrench after nucknucking.

• Like 1

another vote for Milwaukee. I was the first in the workshop to get one and since then every other mechanic has used it and bought one themselves. Theres fuckall they cant undo and batteries last forever. Just makesure you get the model with the circlip style end, not the pin type. Much nicer to use and lower '1' torque setting is way lower than high '2'. makes it way more useable

I recently bought a Hitachi rattle gun and drill combo kit. Came with 2x 5ah batteries and charger all for around $850. Can't beat that value in my book. 250Nm is pretty good but struggles with uber tight stuff. MarKku's Makita gun was rated about the same and seems to have a bit more grunt/different impact motion and got some of the tighter stuff undone a bit easier. In saying that this was when mine was brand new. Seems to be going better and better the more I use it.  

Having same batteries for rattle gun/drill is amazeballs. Never thought I'd use the drill but its the best thing I've ever bought for the shed. 

Talk to Markku. He knows everything about this subject. 

• Like 1

I have little experience with cordless rattle guns, But my (well work owns it) milwaukee drill and grinder slaughter my co workers makita stuff. Every time he uses mine he weeps that whwn his drill died, he had to get another makita since that's what his batteries were.

Have a Hitachi 1/2 rattle gun, drill and grinder. Rate them hard, 4ah batteries and they last ages. Got mine in a combo with two batteries for like $900? A couple years back and I flog the dot out of the gun. No torque setting thing and not brush less but I'm all over their tools now ( kind of committed when you buy into a brand due to charger and batteries. They have a good range ( including a hedge trimmer and weed whacker hah)

Also bought a blower, it's super sweet for sweeping around the house outside. Cleaning areas of debris at work and cleaning out cabs.

Can undo some decent stuff (anything 13mm and under that isn't a stretch/ torque to yield bolt.

Only gripe is i left it on top of all my tools in a tub of kero one night and drove home, while not immersed it got splashed and the rubber has gone gross. BOOOOO. but still works fine after two years now and the batteries still last like weeks with moderate use.

I have always wondered about the blowers and how good they are. The storage boxes have nothing on the dealt dry boxes

Yeah man , def not petrol powered spec, but i love it for blowing dirt and cable ties out of under trucks before jumping on a creeper, sweet for dusting yourself off without using a duster gun etc.

next in line is the torch they have. i may or may not have dodgyed something up in store to test it, no one noticed so its cool. rate them hard already (bar the massive battery but that can act as a stand / counterweight etc.

Oh and impact gun i have is a short one, not the extended big block ones that can undo truck wheel nuts etc. perfect for sumps,rockers,manifolds etc.

I offered up my multimeter for free and bart is keen, but i also have a snap on 3/8" nicad gun that ill donate to whoever wants it, still works legit as other then the stop clutch being gone and the snap ring was so worn it jammed itself into a socket , so i removed it. 
I come back into welly in november and cant see why i cant bring that back too if someone wants it. 

Apologies for thread hijack.

*Edit* GONE.

I really rate my Panasonic gear batteries last for ever only thing is they are expensive and not as many other tool options as some other brands.

Mate is a tractor mech and he swears by his Milwaukee driver also

Yeah man , def not petrol powered spec, but i love it for blowing dirt and cable ties out of under trucks before jumping on a creeper, sweet for dusting yourself off without using a duster gun etc.

next in line is the torch they have. i may or may not have dodgyed something up in store to test it, no one noticed so its cool. rate them hard already (bar the massive battery but that can act as a stand / counterweight etc.

I have this and it's amazingly handy.

http://www.hitachipowertools.co.nz/shop/Cordless/Accessories/Radios+Torches+Blowers++Vacs/2-Way+LED+Worklight.html