Toyota External voltage regulator removal, HELP!

Seedy Al

Hey guys

So I am underway on my 2jz into ms112 engine conversion, to the point I really need to get the alternator wiring sorted so I can bolt the inner guard back in.

So, question questions questions.

How Do I do this lol? On my wagon I had sorta got it working, but the alternator light never worked.

I can only assume a few people might have done a few mods like this before, Any help would be most excellent.

Will try find the pinout of the alternator and start figuring it out from there.......

from the plug in the back of the alternator, I have 3 wires, pink, blue and white.

then on the next plug I have

Blue turning into yellow,

Pink turning into black with white stripe

White to white. White seems to be thicker gauge if that helps.

From what I can tell and remember, I had the black wire looped round to the battery feed bolt on the alternator.

So I'm really not sure

All I want is a charge light and an alternator that works haha

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions in advance!

Oh Hi Allan,

So yeah, Bit of googling.

Which plug does you got?

201104262158_Toyota_Alt_Pinouts.png

Then based on which plug,

Wire it up like so (I assume B is the meaty wire that goes to your battery) ?:

33178901-02C2-47A5-8F4D-3DFF7CE9A31A_zps

Maybe that will help?

IG = Ignition Switched 12v

S = Sense wire

L = Charge Lamp

B = Main feed to battery

Then ignore the external voltage reg stuff of the crown?

I assume the car side of the preexisting wiring for IG, S and L will go to the external voltage reg of the crown, so will need to redirect those to the alternator instead.

Edit: Clarified some shit sentence structure

• Like 1

ok nice.

based on that, I can tell the wires out of the second plug on the alt are,

black/ yellow is lamp,

yellow is signal

white is ignition

at least that's something.

no wonder my lamp light was never going to work, I had it attached to the B+ on the battery.

derp.

however. I have a sneaky suspicion there were only two wires out of the back of the OG alt......

So, that makes shit more confusing slash work lol.

I guess in theory I should be able to work out some wiring from the regulator and make something happen.

Will have a play tonight.

My gauge cluster is out of the car, so should be able to trace the wire hopefully for the lamp light.

then All i need to do is figure out a sense wire, as an ignition feed should be easy to come across.

looks like i will be cutting the loom up once again haha

Thanks roger. Turns out I really didn't need that and this was easier than I thought it would be.

After stripping back the wires to tge plug for the reg, I found the 3 wires I needed. Which after alot of confusing my self I discovered the colors match from both the car and the alternator plug. I confirmed this with a multi meter. So now I just have to cut every thing to length and solder, and everything will be lovely.

• Like 2

Basically the plug from my alternator is the same as the left one in the picture that joe posted, and then joins into a plug like on the right. Which is where I was getting confused. But basically.

White is the sense wire, and gas constant 12v. Black and yellow is the igition feed. And yellow is the lamp wire.

After figuring this out, I have no idea how I ever got my wagon to charge. And that I probably didn't need to spend 130 replacing my diode pack as the problem I had there was that I had connected the ignition wire to the b+ terminal on the alternator and this would have constantly kept my alternator on. Herp a derp.

Will post a more descriptive post with pictures later on in case someone else needs to know this info.

• Like 1