1988 Toyota 2WD Hilux front brake upgrade options

johnny.race

I am basically wondering what my brake upgrade options are for a YN87 Hilux. I am going to be running 15" rims and the extra weight of an iron block 8 cylinder engine. These chassis's come out with small vented disc's on the front in standard form, but fark - they look a little small. I have never mucked around with brake upgrades in the past but this car is headed towards obtaining a cert and i want it to be reasonably safe. Does anyone know if the later model (they look like they are using bigger rotors/calipers) ones fit onto the earlier models? Who's fucked around with the frontend's on these Hilux trucks? Ta. 

a common upgrade for v8 powered hiace vans is to use hiace super custom (the 3 litre turbo one with 5 stud hubs) discs and calipers, some use nissan 4 pots with those discs, all bolts on from memory, might be a spacer needed with the nissan calipers.

id bet that the hilux and hiace hubs are the same at least

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hey Johnny.race 

Just checking in to see if this brake upgrade worked with the 4 pot nissan calipers and the super custom 280mm brake rotors? 

I have a 1988 Toyota hilux yn60 running 15 inch rims and 33inch tyres, powered by a Holden 304 v8. I have upgraded the rear brakes to disc which made a huge difference, I have a land cruiser master brake cylinder and brake booster. But still not quite the stopping power I want. So just wondering if this set up cleared your 15inch rims? 

Thanks mate I look forward to your reply

15 minutes ago, Early jap nuter said:

I’m pretty sure you need 16s. All the skylines and shit are 16 inch wheels

Not all of them.  The povo ones are 15 but the ones that he wants the brakes from are 16. That said, it comes down to barrel design.  Some may work but not many, I'd have thought. 

On 12/01/2021 at 08:19, Ryan.hilux1988 said:

Hey Johnny.race 

Just checking in to see if this brake upgrade worked with the 4 pot nissan calipers and the super custom 280mm brake rotors? 

I have a 1988 Toyota hilux yn60 running 15 inch rims and 33inch tyres, powered by a Holden 304 v8. I have upgraded the rear brakes to disc which made a huge difference, I have a land cruiser master brake cylinder and brake booster. But still not quite the stopping power I want. So just wondering if this set up cleared your 15inch rims? 

Thanks mate I look forward to your reply

Short answer to your question is I don't know. Long story is the application I used/tried it out on was on the front of a 2wd LN56. The rim I wanted to use was a 15" but skinny. It was 4.5" width I think. It had most of its minimal width towards the outside (old school style if you know what i mean) so was pretty flat looking on the inside. See attached pic of what I am talking about. I couldn't get the rim to sit on the hub properly without it fouling the 4 pot caliper due to the outside facing pots. This is all from memory but this was the gist of it I think. I dunno if i had of had a normal 15" rim whether it would have worked. Might have but didn't check because at the time i wanted to use the rims i was trying. Yo.

1465823702.jpg.6585f16685853ffd3f2d2fcfb6b647ae.jpg