dodgypetes 1980 Mini 1275GT Discussion

dodgypete

May be a pinhole through the bore to water jacket?

I once had a pos galant that had a 'rebuilt' engine. They sold it after rebuilt it because they couldn't get it to run.

It would occasionally start run a bit (if ya gave it some revs) then would cut out and just about die then BOOM! A massive backfire.

Ended up being a dizzy wire shorting out on block.

So i threw new rings in it (again as they were broken) and it ran fine for about a year.

What im saying for yours is new rings may be fine again? But the mark in bore says otherwise...

They could have also gotten ring gap wrong?

?? Dunno hard to tell from a pic.

Seen a few blocks that look fine until hot and a tiny pinhole opens up and sucks the cooling system dry.

Did you have the block sonic tested or crack tested??

1st thing i would have done.

Yep, they still flip forward. You can also get them with a headrest but they won't flip forward properly. I guess the headrests are for safety but let's be honest, you don't want to have any kind of crash in a mini.

They only problem I had is the plastic inserts on the adjustable feet at the back of the frames fell apart. I made some metal one to replace them. I'll post some photos and it'll make more sense.

• 3 weeks later...

Over all the years of playing with cars/engines etc ive accumulated a vast selection of bolts, plugs/caps, water pumps, oil pumps and old spark plugs etc i use to block up holes. (Mainly holden 6 an v8, ford v8 etc)

What i cant cover that way i use 3m masking tape.

Next bottle of champagne you here get popped nab the cork.

The postpak type tubes have useful plastic ends (Obviously depending on size)

Rubberbands and plastic bags or even glad wrap are good in some areas.

100 mile hour tape.

When new radiators or master cylinders/clutch cylinders etc etc are purchased there are plastic plugs in places. Carefully remove them without wrecking them clean them up and store in a box for future use.

Even some of the packaging from stuff you buy that's normally thrown out can sometimes have usefull pieces.

When i had my house air cond installed the guys left all the rubbish for me to dispose. I found heaps of useful clips and plugs.

Just keep ya eyes peeled.

• Like 1

Next bottle of champagne you here get popped nab the cork.

The postpak type tubes have useful plastic ends (Obviously depending on size)

Rubberbands and plastic bags or even glad wrap are good in some areas.

100 mile hour tape.

When new radiators or master cylinders/clutch cylinders etc etc are purchased there are plastic plugs in places. Carefully remove them without wrecking them clean them up and store in a box for future use.

Even some of the packaging from stuff you buy that's normally thrown out can sometimes have usefull pieces.

When i had my house air cond installed the guys left all the rubbish for me to dispose. I found heaps of useful clips and plugs.

Just keep ya eyes peeled.

Sweet, thanks for the tips

• 4 months later...

Does it run better once it cools? (Or sits for a bit?)

Have a good look at the spark plug ceramics for cracks.

Is there any oil or oily film around the plug area? If so clean it with some brake cleaner etc and ssee. Sometimes the spark can track thru to block via oil residue etc.

Make sure its not to oily inside dizzy to seen an oily dizzy track spark back to itself too.

Ive seen old ignition barrels that have worn over the years (Usually from heavy key rings etc) and they can sometimes "rattle" and lose contact etc.

So its cutting ignition etc causing misfire.

It cam easily be eliminated as an issue by "hotwiring" - bypassing the ignition switch.