dodgypetes 1980 Mini 1275GT

A few weeks back it started running really rough - almost undriveable.

Initially I thought it was the carb because I had previously had a few problems (Carb had been sweet for a couple of months though).

I had driven the mini my sisters place, then it ran like crap on the way home the following night. I parked it up and checked a few things (carb related) the next weekend

I took it for a spin and it seemed to run OK for a while, then really rough.

I checked for vacuum leaks, checked it was getting fuel, richened up the mixture - nothing helped.

A friend reckoned it sounded more like an ignition problem causing a misfire.

It has a Lucas 45D4 distributor with a Dizzytek 774 electronic module. When I rebuilt the engine it got new plugs, leads, dis cap and rotor.

The misfire seems to be at any revs and with or without load.

Yesterday I replaced the coil and swapped leads and cap for old ones but no joy.

Checked the plugs and they look OK. I also did a compression test and all cylinders were good - 195-200 psi.

I can't see any tracking in the cap or on the rotor. The only thing I can see is it looks a bit odd around the rotor contact. This wouldn't be a problem with the spare cap anyway.

Any suggestions? I'm a noob so I might have missed something obvious.

Discussion: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/53286-dodgypetes-1980-mini-1275gt-discussion/?hl=mini

20161204_145850.jpg

So...I finally got to the bottom of my misfire.

While poking around in the distributor I noticed the black wire from the electronic module was sitting against the shaft, and the insulation had rubbed through.

Basically the negative wire switching the coil was intermittently getting grounded.

When I first got the car I noticed the same thing had happened to the red wire (but somehow hadn't caused any issues), so I sleeved it with some heat shrink.

At the time I thought I had positioned the wires so they couldn't get pulled against the shaft.

The misfire is gone, so I took it for a spin and adjusted the carb - I put the mixture and idle back to what they were before the problems.

20161210_204040.jpg

• Like 2