Mk2marty's Radisich Telstar Foamer Thread

mk2marty

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those ebay headers actually seem to be alright that you can get for these, will be getting a set for mine if i ever have spare coin, would love to turbo eventually as low boost setups on these seem to get pretty tasty results, guess thats the one upside to the telstars all having KLDE motors and not ZE's is having lower compression.

This sounds choice IMO

• Like 2

I have fond memories of replacing Power Beat batteries, fitting new wheels, tyres, steering wheels, and tightening the the gear lever grub screws.

There were a few Radisich Mazda Cronos's getting about Henderson in the late 90s.

• Like 1

Yup, as far as i know they were the Peter Witehira designed never-go-flat batteries, which seemed to always go flat. 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=117699

Turbo sounds dangerous haha. Headers are a good idea though, maybe these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-MX6-Ford-Probe-2-5L-DOHC-V6-Exhaust-Headers-Downpipe-Steel-Manifolds-/331886834817?fits=Make%3AMazda%7CModel%3AMX-6&hash=item4d45ff3481:g:f08AAMXQ71xRXxiF&vxp=mtr

Or maybe just delete a muffler or two...

And yeah, the gear knob grub screws work themselves loose occasionally. Apparently these were getting stolen in the '90s for the Momo wheel and knob, although whether that's true or not I don't know.

• Like 2

Turbo sounds dangerous haha. Headers are a good idea though, maybe these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-MX6-Ford-Probe-2-5L-DOHC-V6-Exhaust-Headers-Downpipe-Steel-Manifolds-/331886834817?fits=Make%3AMazda%7CModel%3AMX-6&hash=item4d45ff3481:g:f08AAMXQ71xRXxiF&vxp=mtr

Or maybe just delete a muffler or two...

Yeah that's the ones I was looking at, haha yeah impossible to get traction in the rain as it is so would imagine theyd be a pig to drive with a churbro bolted on!

Apparently these were getting stolen in the '90s for the Momo wheel and knob, although whether that's true or not I don't know.

%100 true. We had a set of workshop steel wheels and plastic steering wheel to put on them so the transporter driver could pick them up. 

I remember giving one car back to it's owner on Friday afternoon and it being back minus wheels Momo bits and body kit on Monday morning. Poor bugger.

It's nice to see one again, yours looks tidy. Could you get a Green Radisich Telstar? or was that just Eurosport ones?

A Eurosport with reground cams and a set of headers used to come into the workshop. It went very well!

• Like 1

Cheers!

And not too sure on colours, some say that the majority of the first series came out in that purple/blue pearl, although red and white were available, and apparently Paul was given a burgundy-coloured one to use. I think by the second series they loosened the colour palette a little, mine just seems to be the standard dark blue that all Telstars were available in. Have seen a few green ones around as well.

Cams and headers are sounding quite tempting tbh, maybe once the wallet has recovered from the myriad of gaskets/seals/head recon/etc needed...

• Like 1

It's history (as far as I can tell) is all Far North, which would explain all the stone chips on the front, anyway.. 

First registered in Kaitaia according to the rego papers that came in the mail, and the service book has stamps from various places around Whangarei. It's got Pacific Motor Group plate surrounds too.

Although there's nothing to say it didn't spend some time in Wellington, there's about 10 years and 100000km between when the service history ends and how it is currently..

And it's funny you mention Amon Coronas. There was a time when I could have had a race with this one, but i'm pretty sure it no longer exists...

PYmxuYAl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Swoon. That side pipe would sound awesome i reckon

There's this too, which is actually pretty tidy: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/ford/auction-1124731653.htm

Also, there has been some progress of late. 

IMG_7389_zpsndq5tl1v.jpg

Did the CV boots, rear springs, assorted fluids and clutch master cylinder. Hopefully that's all the future-proofing the car requires

IMG_7401_zpspsgmfhjv.jpg

Had to evict a Basil from the top of the engine block. ('Would you like a biscuit with your rat?' etc)

IMG_7407_zpsxbrsmne1.jpg

And removed the oil restrictors. This was the rear one, with a large chunk of rubber wedged in it. 

We assume (or hope) that it's a bit of anti-drain back valve from an oil filter, because that's basically the only bit of rubber between the oil pump and restrictors. The worrying question, though, is whether there is any more of it floating around in the oilways...

Cranked it over on the starter motor a few times and flushed several sump-fulls of oil through the galleries, there were no more bits of rubber, but does that prove it's all gone?

The two options are:

-Flush it some more, put it all back together and hope

-Pull the bottom end down, perhaps for no reason...

• Like 3