Jesses mk1 mirage of nana spec

Sooooo, another mitsi to add to the hoard! 

Discussion thread here //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/53153-jesses-mk1-mirage-yarns/

Saw this little gem pop up on trademe at a ridiculously low price so couldn't help myself and impulsively hit the buy now, bit of a pain being in blenheim but it was worth it! organised to shoot across on the ferry this saturday and drive it back.... has not been driven for 2 years and is dereg... what could go wrong?!

Got down to blenheim about lunch time on saturday with a sack full of tools and got to work on getting it going, wouldn't start at all for ages and found no fuel getting through so blew out all the fuel lines and shot to ripco and got a new fuel pump and filter and spark plugs for the hell of it. fitted all them and she fired into life like a treat, sadly after hours of trying to get it running right it still wouldn't idle or drive, only starts and revs, fuck, thankfully my GC mate who i was staying with towed me to the ferry on sunday night when it was absolutely pissing down, couldn't see jack shit and had to use left foot for braking as my right foot had to feather the throttle to keep the car going! but alas we got it on the ferry and up to wellington and my boss picked me up at the other end with the car trailer....at midnight on a sunday. 

So, Cons:

* Carb probably needs resealing or a rebuild but that's not a biggie

* Paints faded (not in a cool patina way though)

That's pretty much it, was surprised for a car that's been sitting outside for a couple years without being run aside from the engine the brakes and clutch and everything work a treat!

Pros:

* It's a genuine 1 old lady owner with 114,000ks on the clock

* Apart from running rough it doesn't smoke at all

* Body is incredibly straight and completely rust free, underside is like new thanks to what looks to be factory underseal!

Plans are to get it running right, then use as a daily, then the usual things like low, gonna chuck my advans on it that were initially for my turbo mirage (this will be up for sale soon) and then later down the line engine conversion, was thinking of maybe a carby 4g15 with a few minor add ons, nothing too major

Aaaaaaanyway here are some pics! 

45anhfkv.o3b.jpg

2naqaqfx.qxh.jpg

ha4pasus.tvu.jpg

3kwzrwct.2or.jpg

ifzmss5a.5d2.jpg

izadnow4.pdp.jpg

• Like 7

Swapped the carby from my derby car onto it today, had to remove auto choke gear and manual choke shit wouldn't fit with the way it was laid out, so it's got no choke system on it (auto choke was fucked on the derby car anyway) but, started up and runs and idles mint now, bloody stoked. took for a hoon round the block now under it's own power and it drives like a dream, timings a bit out but i'll take it into work on monday and get a timing light on it.

f5smmmr5.hrn.jpg

dfujhxxt.fcm.jpg

• Like 3

Gave the interior a real good clean today, scrubbed up alright too, took like 3 hours of scrubbing with meths to get all the grandad jizz off the windows, shit just wouldn't come off! Also fixed the vacuum secondaries and put a non leaky vacuum advance off a spare dizzy i had on, goes like a rocket now!..... well as much as these things go haha vast improvement at least

Have some interior pics.

oscejzbx.dfb.jpg

xzdljrp0.urb.jpg

pzab4ifh.vg0.jpg

lz3sqd1x.zpp.jpg

• Like 4

Pretty miserable weekend so didn't get anything done on this, but did do a very average photoshop job of slam and advans haha.

ov5hrue1.jiq.jpg

Which made me want to actually try them on, only got so far as the rear because it then started pissing down.

2h1ems5g.nt0.jpg

vzw1j5jp.w0s.jpg

x1rknlis.23i.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Have been collecting bits for this over the last couple weeks, so far have got

New Cobra "low" springs

New front shock inserts (to be shortened)

New nissan vanette front shocks, for the rear of the mirage (did a big hunt on monroe catalogue to match up some shorter shocks and these were around 80mm shorter than standard mirage rear)

New Points, condenser, rotor, cap, eagle leads (already chucked new plugs in the day i got it)

New fuel, oil and air filters and new oil.

New bitsssssss

mrrx3csq.b1v.jpg

Got as far as doing the ignition side of things today and timed it up (chur to thegreatestben for lending me timing light) and fitted one of the rear shocks to see how it's gonna sit at extended length, fits up mint but will have to make some sort of spacer for the top or use a heap of washers haha. then the dickhead rain came along and fucked my day up, god i miss having a garage.

New rear shock at extended length, gonna be captive as fuck with mega low springs, stoked!! Photo doesn't really show how low it is though.
qbllhugu.y5w.jpg

• Like 3

Got to work on doing the springs and shocks today, went with cut standards all round, cut one side of the cobra rears and the coil diameter was quite a bit thicker than standard coil. turns out by the time id cut to fit the short shocks it was so rigid because of such little weight in these cars that it hardly compressed more than 10-15mm when it was on the ground haha. so cut the standard rears to the same height and it slammed it down nicely. got a bit over-excited with the fronts and ended up cutting too much off... took it for a whip round the block and aside from the horrid sounds of mudguards scraping the ground the entire time, it was actually mighty comfortable, new shocks working a treat! thankfully i still have the cobra fronts to play around with to get the ride height mint.

lb1pe2y2.klb.jpg

cbyepbnr.0ui.jpg

4sfthe4o.xmt.jpg

bx44xnxd.4f0.jpg

• Like 7

Got tyres on my a3a's FINALLY, went with 155/65r14, really wanted 155/55s but these came up super cheap so went with 'em. They're a little bit baloony but not too bad overall.

The rears sit perfectly in my eyes, edge of rim is exactly in line with the guard. Fronts need a wee bit of a grind out, anyone who knows these cars will know they have bolt heads that poke out in between the wheel studs on the hubs. Thankfully these reeeyums have cutouts in between stud holes but they just don't clear the bolt heads. Overall im pretty bloody happy with how they look, because of wheel on the front fouling on bolt heads it pokes out a bit, but will sit reasonably flush once ive sorted that out.Have a shitty phone pic for now, will get better pics over the weekend.

4bnk1r2l.x4m.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Bit of an update on this.

Rear tyres were rubbing pretty badly so borrowed guard roller off datlow and rolled the rear guards, whipped the drums off while I had the wheels off to check how much meat was still on the shoes. right hand side first, shoes look to be brand new which I was stoked with, left hand side, wheel cylinder leaking, faaaark, all over the shoes too. Gotta wait til tues for a new wheel cylinder as ripco had to order em from Auckland, was hoping like hell to take it down for a wof on Monday too so pretty bummed about that!

So did minor things I had to do to it, new oil and filter, new brake pads ($130 retail!!) Sorted out springs so it's all wofable, chucked the cut cobras in the back and cut until they were just captive, fronts are cobras minus one coil and they're still captive, sits too high at the front but moving down south in a month and a half so too poor to get them shortened as of yet.

Whipped the grill and headlight bezels out and polished up the chrome and gave them a couple coats of plasti-dip, looks a lot better now! Can't decide whether to keep badges in factory spot or have no badges on it!

lhltnr2h.qjr.jpg

xud5wyrr.plf.jpg

p4o2az4w.fzo.jpg

wy4eynsg.ojg.jpg

• Like 6

Got the new wheel cylinder on, and rear shoes, re-packed wheel bearings with new grease, bled the brakes. Took for a drive, man it drives good now, super stoked!

Headlight switch has been a bit funny so took it apart and cleaned up all the contacts, works perfect now. Gave it a good clean in and out and did little bits and bobs for wof, tightened up mirror bracket, adjusted front wheel bearings as they had a little bit of play.

Gonna take it down for its first wof in 4 years tomorrow! hope like hell it passes haha.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So been hooning this as my daily driver and loving it, until last week was going up the haywards and she started coughing and spluttering and just did not want to go anything over 80kmh. I remember Damien having the exact same problem with his mirage and it was the fuel pump causing the issue. But mine was brand new so I discarded that idea.

Knocked off early yesterday so thought I'd try figure it out, within a minute I noticed the fuel pump bubbling around where the top seals to the bottom of it. Fuck sake the pump hasn't even done 1000ks and its shit the bed. Shot to repco this avo and got a new pump and fitted it, all sorted. Hopefully this pump can at least make 4 digits on the Speedo, bloody fuelmiser.

Out with the new, in with the new grrr

sx520hzc.ebd.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chucked some sounds in this weekend, pretty basic set up pair of 6.5" jbl components up front and pair of 6.5" kenwood shitters in the back, had some Orion speaker grilles lying around so jammed them on. Older but decent sony headunit with usb, triple pre-outs etc so when I eventually wanna chuck an amp on to run the speakers I can.

Yes I know hacking up door cards is frowned upon but they are faded and Shit so I don't care haha.

u5jjrluc.u03.jpg

And as always Lemmy giving me tips and pointers on what I should do.

hjtpcts0.vt3.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Been up to fuck all with all the vehicles lately since moving to chch and having a little girl last week!

But I did pick up a mint pair of gtx seats so had a spare moment this avo and fitted them up to the factory rails with a bit of trimming and drilling a few holes they fit perfectly and are a shit tonne more comfortable to drive in!

oislqf11.0zd.jpg
fcaj31yg.z2o.jpgcaoqxjlf.wy4.jpghyov05xz.2l4.jpg
vxggriex.o4d.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Nothing much been happening with this as of late, just take it for a hoon once a fortnight, going in for wof tomorrow so thought I should probably sort some flares out for the front, bought some ezlip rip off brand for 45 bucks and that was the perfect amount for the guards, doesn't look too bad either!

The adhesive tape seems a bit weak though so may have to ados it or chuck a few self tappers in haha.

qttkpanl.lyd.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Yeah ok been over a year since I updated this, not a hell of a lot to add really, sailed through the last 2 wofs no sweat. I’ve been bloody slack with this actually, aside from Hanmer last year I’ve probably driven it not even 100ks in the last year haha.

Have a picture

sbrsvbvw.14j.jpeg

• Like 6

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...