Russell's CG110

My name is Russell

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your fuel situation all good? How dirty is your fuel tank? Do you have a filter? Is it blocked with tank rust? Are your jets full of rusty muck? Could be clogged up jets... happens all the time wuth old fuel tanks and causes running issues that feel like electrical problems, super fune rust particles get past the filter and build up in the carb.

I had the same high voltage problem on my GL145 motor... fucked around for ages trying to fix it, in the end i put one of those big honda type 6 wire regulator/ rectifiers on... sorted the problem instantly. This is also whats on mathers engine and it pumps out a smooth 12.8 volts

• Like 1

Is your fuel situation all good? How dirty is your fuel tank? Do you have a filter? Is it blocked with tank rust? Are your jets full of rusty muck? Could be clogged up jets... happens all the time wuth old fuel tanks and causes running issues that feel like electrical problems, super fune rust particles get past the filter and build up in the carb.

Good point. It is a clean tank but who knows what's in the bottom that's I can't see will remove carb now. Flip I have a filter in stock too didn't think of fitting it.

I had the same high voltage problem on my GL145 motor... fucked around for ages trying to fix it, in the end i put one of those big honda type 6 wire regulator/ rectifiers on... sorted the problem instantly. This is also whats on mathers engine and it pumps out a smooth 12.8 volts

OK I will see what other regs I have in stove. This is one of those bigger flat ones fitted at the moment.

Mega Mega fail of a weekend to the power of 1000. 

Spent all of Sat and Sun trying to eliminate this miss. 

Waiting on a replacement CDI that hopefully arrives el pronto for the weekends trip. 

Huge thanks too Hayholes mum for spending her Sunday helping out, what a women! She did find a critical error with my fuel tank having junk in it so that eliminated one issue. 

Fingers mega crossed that the CDI due to arrive tomorrow fix's my engine issues. 

Thought in the meantime I would tie up some loose ends. 

DSCN9694_2.jpgimage hosting over 5mb

DSCN9698_2.jpgfree screen capture

And a waterproof bag for tent, sleeping bag etc 

DSCN9688_2.jpggif image hosting

2nd LED headlight fitted 

DSCN9717_2.jpgwindows 7 print screen

DSCN9703_2.jpgfree image host

Not as good as Hayhole or his mums, but made a small bash guard from a stainless steel strokers hardware door pusher plate, some more work still to go on this if i get a chance.  

DSCN9731_2.jpgfree photo hosting

• Like 3

BUGGER IT 

Replacement CDI did not change anything :( 

It goes so well it first and second gear, then half way through the 3rd gear rev range its just cutting out and will ride along cutting out indefinitely. 

Going to check; 

Gearing ratio 

Remove side cover and check timing marks line up

Look at the float bowl level 

Add Manifold gasket seal 

Redo all connections 

Any other ideas? 

I concur with Chris, it won't be gear ratio.

Gotta be either carb or electrical. Fuel is easiest to sort so check it all out first. Something as simple as partially blocked carb jets or a lose earth connection can cause same symptoms.

Don't know what sort of carbs those Chonda Chinese knock offs have but if its a knock off carb as well - throw it in the bin.

The engine doesn't matter so much but the carb does, very very fine tolerances and decent manufacturing are a must for carbs. Ask anyone who has bought / tried to use a cheap knock off carb and you will never hear anything good to say about them.

• Like 1

OK the bikes running like a charm now. As I'm typing this I'm touching all the wood I can find. . . And timber.

We fitted a smaller front sprocket at watermark and it ran bether tHan ever.

Came home happy as had dinner then thought I better test it on the hill and fuck it. It's back. Soldered all the joins again. Removed chode air filter. And cleaned carb for the zilinth time.

Just returned from a Mt Brooklyn roadtrip and everything seems all groovy. Will give it a red rocks fang tomorrow.

I'm wondering if the air filter was choking it. Super short type.

Thanks for the above adice oldschool and Hayholes mum

certainly sounds like an intake choke with it only really acting up on high load situations. 

had similar issues with a scooter not reving out properly and it was because the carb had a pipe on it that didn't have a bell mouth intake and at higher rpm is was choking it off. tiny filter would do the same

• Like 1