supercarry's 1986 Super Carry engine swap/build ideas?

supercarry

Hi all, first time posting here. I have a 1986 Suzuki Super Carry that I have had no end of engine trouble with. After yet another incident and faced with the prospect of pulling it out only to temporarily fix it and then be in this situation again 6 months down the track I have decided to look into doing something a bit different.

It currently has an F10a 970cc SOHC w/ 5spd gearbox.

Ideally I'd love to put a 12a bridgy or a Hayabusa or something crazy like that in it but a lack of funds prevents that. for now....

However I have been seriously looking into rebuilding and sprucing up the current engine a bit - port and polish, mild cam, play around with intake side a bit and see what I can achieve.

I am also looking into some ... less involved engine swaps and am interested in something like a K10a, K12a, G13b out of other small Suzukis or an 1100 or 1300 out of a Morris or a small boxer engine or something. 

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/information/advice?

Thanks in advance!!

995605_941607375856288_35708299163011375

12039388_1190884177595272_55474988774403

11947528_1177677178915972_41347486900711

12118924_1202734026410287_79777592088273

10649522_952868498063509_537075097938785

16376_958089927541366_664893755413906149

• Like 1

Yea I've just been reading through your forum post from 2013 in search of inspiration and saw mention of that there, I did see a 12a powered one up on trademe a wee while back and am kicking myself for not buying it now. Definitely the way I want to go. Do you know much about how much work went into getting it legal (assuming it was). I've heard all sorts from some hilariously misinformed people ranging from 'you'll never get cert for it' to 'slap it in and she'll be right'. 

Yea sorry I realise that is kind of a 'how long is a piece of string' question a bit. I have spoken to a certifier and basically got told "well bring it in and show me when you've done it and we'll see" so I guess I'll go down that track when I'm actually ready to. In the mean time I just want a bit more go out of it without going too crazy

If you are going to swap the engine eventually then rather than spend thousands on the current engine only to rip it out, why not spend the minimum required to get it going then save the rest for the engine swap.

Means you get your new engine faster and arnt left with a $3000 paper weight that is the old engine

Any rotary conversion is going to cost you a heap of cash.

You will have to upgrade your diff as well.

Because the van is so short and your limited to space under the seats the only thing with any decent grunt that will fit will be a rotary.

You can always mount something behind the seats but then the drive shaft is too short so your going to have to fit a independent rear.

How about drop a subaru engine and box in it.

You could space the engine from the box to make the engine more mid mounted.

Db8 - Yea I have been thinking that too, I haven't quite finished pulling it out yet so once I have and have worked out what's gone wrong I would definitely look at just that - if it's cheap enough to fix up just do that and keep saving for a rotary.

My other way of thinking though is i'm really sick of cruising at 85kmh and would love something with a bit more pep. If anyone had come across a bolt out/bolt in replacement not requiring too much dicking around and not going to cost me too much I would still be pretty keen to look into that. 

Or, if its going to cost to much to fix for now I may also just park it up, pick up a cheap runabout and start slowly getting it ready for the rotary.

Metalhead96 - Had considered using an engine from some of those older series, had been looking most seriously at an F6a turbo as I understand they would bolt straight in. I don't know if the LJ50 would give me quite as much power as I'd like, from what I can see they'd be about half the factory hp of the F10a whereas the turbo F6a can give a bit more. The only problem with that I think would be that mounted tilted like I don't know if it'd get enough oil up top (especially being DOHC instead of SOHC) without a bit of playing around. I don't know though...

Bwarp - Is that a caffeine fueled weekend in a fully stocked workshop with an army of mechanics? 

Threeonthetree - Will do, thank you

R100 - Yes unfortunately I am aware of that :( Would be looking at doing the lot though, want to make sure it's safeish too. Wider axle, new brakes, new diff, new gearbox, lowered and sitting wider, the list goes on and the price adds up.. That's why I keep coming back to them, perfect size to fit in! I mean when you start with a 1L that's barely squeezed in there on an angle it doesn't give you too much option to try fit more grunt easily. Had thought about trying to attempt a mid mount but would prefer the engine under the seat - leaves more room for subs in the back :D

• 2 years later...