Wellington bead blasting.

On 8/19/2016 at 07:37, datlow said:

Fuck yeah blasting looks the go

I asked him if he would blast a complete motor, said he could if I make caps to cover all the ports etc, as I've just put the motor back together

Did you end up getting the engine blasted? Mine's covered in some shitty non heat-resistant paint so keen to get it cleaned up. Problem is that it's still in the bike at the moment and i assume would need to dismantle and remove it... Would an easier option be wire-brushing it in situ?

@Pee Dubs, na I crappily painted my motor so will end up blasting or 2 pac black it at some point

i did use him for my carbs and scooter side cover tho

yrah have to remove engine as he blasts in a cabinet 

wire brush would probably just make it look worse/gouge the alloy

Maybe waterblaster would lift it off?

How bad does the alloy look under the paint oxidised etc?

Paint on the top end turns soft when the engine gets hot so I've already scraped some of it off with a flathead screwdriver where I could get to it. Obviously just can't get between the fins and into corners like that though. Not sure that water blaster would help unless engine was hot; would cooling it too quickly risk cracking the barrels?

Alloy underneath looks pretty good from what I can tell.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/14/2016 at 16:55, kicker said:

More blasting news.

Currently having a bicycle frame blasted and powdercoated by Metal Immersions in Tawa, was quoted $150 for stripping, zincing and powdercoating. Had a bike frame dipstripped years ago by them and was happy with the service, will update with outcome.

Any idea how that would translate into a cost for a motorbike frame? Specifically my C90?

I've tried calling him and he is super evasive giving a price. He didn't even want to give me a ballpark to within.

Not sure tbh, he is annoying to deal with but seems to be one of the few places around that can strip and coat. He kept trying to change my mind on the colour I wanted.

Give ESL a call (near your place), I had FA50 stuff blasted and coated there years ago but last time I called they had stopped the blasting side, could see if they are doing it again or if they can recommend anywhere.

Or take it with the commy to get done then drop off to ESL.

• Thanks 1