Peter's Oldschool Practical Daily SW20 Saga

V8Pete

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

will any of that polish out? was that just from NZ's roads? It looks like a spec of rust is coming through too. Seems like poor paint quality for a car of that caliber!

Na, it's actual chips. The finer stuff on the left is just pollen dust. That part of the car just seems really vulnerable to getting hit by stones. Snow gritted roads didn't help. The rusty looking thing is some kind of gooey insect/tree/something residue. It's had a rubbish Singapore respray at some point unfortunately.

Not been on OS much recently. Just read through thread and enjoyed pictures very muchly. Far out we in NZ are bloody lucky to have such a lush country!! I've only been as far south as manapouri and am now planning a trip further after seeing this lot. I reckon winter is the time to do it too eh?.. less crowds, more snow, less sandflies.

Thanks for sharing.

Btw- you missed top of west coast, Nelson, Tasman, Golden bay etc. Next time!

• Like 2

If you have an area on ya car susceptible of stone chips etc like that.

See about getting some molds done of the area and make some plastic or fibreglass covers that clip in at wheel arch and tape on the body (can't recall the double sided tape i used was 3m i think) have them painted same colour as the car and done.

To remove apply heat from a hair dryer etc and tape comes away slowly (if ya get correct tape) i suggest trying on an old wreck or sh#tbox 1st.

But of stuffing around but saved my paint job years ago. Sold them with the car.

Those paint protection films work awesome and you can also get a teflon coating on the paint to stop stuff sticking to it. Not sure if its gypsy magnet trickery or if it actually works though.. who knows. 

Parents live on a gravel road and have the paint protection film on a few areas of their WRX and it seems to have lasted pretty well.

• 3 weeks later...