Peter's Oldschool Practical Daily SW20 Saga

V8Pete

I recommend doing a night at whangamomona hotel, there is fuckall to do but have beer with the locals and they do a lush feed. Also drop in to the lavender farm on the taumaranui side.

Bonus points for pics of Austin in Ohura and Matiere

• Like 2

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohura

If you hear anyone yelling "YO' SHO GOT A PURRDY MOUF BOY", gun it out of there.

Stupid useless fact: my friend nearly bought the old St. John Ambulance station in Ohura. Seems like the perfect place as any to get away from it all and stash a few "barn-find" cars.

whanga pub lady lets ya know not to park under trees coz the pack of roaming feral goats in the township stand on them to reach the trees spec.

She asked me to move because I parked too close to the back door and she wanted to back her van up closer to it.

Also, man the road from Whanga to Stratford is lush. I thought there was something wrong with me yesterday driving from Waitomo to the coast - the road there seems to be designed so that every corner makes you think its trying to spit you out. Whanga to Stratford makes you want to press on.

Went Waitomo to Piopio on the main highway, then went Aria - Ohura - Whangamomona - Stratford. All good except for grading the crown of the road a bit with the bottom of the car between Aria and Ohura in places. Bumped into Fletch outside a friend's place too. E-famous spec.

• Like 2

This is a great read. I drove the company mondeo turbo diesel wagon from Stratford to Taumaranui a couple of years ago. Epic road especially on a Wednesday morning. The only other traffic were camper vans who were very courteous.

• Like 1

Early request for mataura works pics

As in Mataura down here?

There's fuck-all to see down there now sunshine, they did some demo and are doing some rebuild, your best bet would be mill based photos where you could park and catch the river side of the works shit-hole in shot. Old mill pictures would be better anyway, a shame almost that they've just been tidying the street front up and repainted most of it (it looks a million times better in terms of Mataura not looking like as much of a dead buttfuck town)

The Tiwai Point road gets fairly close but for anything exciting like the metal yard or the magnetic wonderment of the reduction cells it's all kept in the central to southern side of the facility which is not easily accessible.