The Dutch, Scottish, & Indian people megathread (Driving economically)

Roman

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wifey's '03 Ipsum achieved 11.83 litres per 100km / 23.9 mpg over 444 km towing this 8x4 tandem trailer both laden and unladen including three shortish local trips each with a ton of potatoes on board and a day trip to Middlemarch to collect 28 bales of hay. Pleasantly surprised. I expected it to hog the juice a lot more than that. 

Lunch at the Kissing Gate café in Middlemarch is also to be recommended.

image.png.24a1e21d249ab196e574ea762f21e10f.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so now that I own a gas guzzling 1gr-fe 4.0 v6 in a time of rediculous prices, I've really taken to babying it around trying to increase the fuel economy, best I can manage for a tank around the bay (mix of low hills, 50, 80 and 100km) is 9.4l/100 on the trip computer which in the real world is about 10.5-10.8. I do know that they over fuel these engines but also the factory air filter is very restrictive and sits right on top of the motor suffering heat soak which causes a lot of the over fueling issues. But one thing that annoys the shit out of me is going over the takaka and coasting downhill in gear it'll still use between 4 and 6l/100, unless the revs are over 1700ish. I've also noticed that at idle it'll sit at 650rpm but if your moving at any speed the revs double even if your in neutral. So if you cost in neutral at about 80km it uses 3-5 l/100. 

My plan is to buy a trd cai out of the states which apparently will take on average 2l from the above results whilst giving me an extra 20+rwkw. At 1k delivered I need to do 15000k before I'll see the holes in my pocket close up. It's also had a stage 1 ecu flash. I wonder why the engine is tuned to use fuel coasting in gear and if that's something they could tune out. 

• Like 1

Thats a stitch up. you think they would enable the  fuel cut  at bit lower rpm based on speed or something

my 20v junker wagon  consistently does mid 6's/100 now. driving normally with the odd nang here and there.
Messed around with the tune a bit on dyno watching torque numbers.  It wanted a little more timing at cruise in places, around 45degrees. and smashed quite a lot more in at low load and revs. like what you'd use putting around in a 50k area.  tidied up the afr a bit, and set it to about 15.2.   along with some tweaks to overrun fuel cut to kick in sooner and down to lower rpm.
previously it did low 7's.     fucked stock ecu setup did high 9's.    6.5L/100  seems pretty decent for a shitty old 20v wagon

• Like 8

13 hours ago, ajg193 said:

Probably have to keep the cats hot.

A lot of the stuff they do doesn't make sense at first glance but Toyota knows what it is doing and everything is done for a pretty good reason

You would think so, but then the placement of the air filter and subsequent replacement in later models suggests otherwise. Also how come the 2gr gets much better economy for more hp in a heavier vehicle.. 

EGR. 

I removed it on a diesel I had, and it used heaps less fuel

Have read removal on a petrol engine has the opposite effect?  Due to the ecu running more timing with EGR working? 

I have some headers for my silverado but it would mean removing egr . Only reason I would fit them would be for more fuel economy but I cbf if it means it would have no resulting benefit  

Summoning OS tuning wizards  

• Like 1

On a diesel you are essentially at full throttle all of the time, so there arent pumping losses from working against the vacuum in a cylinder on the downstroke at part throttle.

EGR in a petrol means that when your demand is low (low throttle) you are reducing the amount of vacuum, so you get some slightly increases in economy. 

However yeah, generally the ignition timing will the different as well. Because adding EGR means the mix isnt just oxygenated air, and fuel. 

Now there's de-oxygenated exhaust gas in there too mixed up with it. 

So the flame front expands out from the spark plug slower, so you need more ignition timing. 

So if you remove EGR, you might have a bit too much ignition timing at cruise. 

When in the past I've made the motor run a leaner air fuel mix, which is sort of similar to keeping normal AFR and adding EGR. 
It wanted 9 degrees more timing at cruise conditions.  

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Roman said:

Hot air isnt a bad thing for fuel economy.

Apparently for the 1gr it is.. The whole air filter setup is pretty whack. Just waiting on a reply from a Toyota parts place in cali then I can hopefully bring in the trd cold air box.. And cut consumption by 2l/100. I'm somewhat skeptical.. 

• Like 1

A lot of the hypermiling nerds cover up the whole front of their car and make sure the motor gets real hot intake air. 

What grade fuel are you putting into it? 

If the motor is knocking because air temp is hot, then it pulls timing. Yeah that will cost you some economy.

Would be interesting to put an OBD2 wifi thingy into the car, and compare some before and after results for things like how much ignition timing, IAT etc. 

• Like 2

Just 91, trying to save money hah, after doing multiple trips to chch and back there seems to be zero difference in economy between 91, 95 and 100.. 

They redesigned the whole air box for the later 1gr's also the exhaust manifold is different with a different location for the o2 sensors. When I finally get the cai I'll do a bunch of testing to see what the gains(if any) are. 

Managed to drop it to 9.3/100 really working the downhill coasts and engine braking. She's hard work trying to sip fuel, find myself unwilling to smash the pedal for fear of increasing the literage. Bring on the drop in fuel prices so I can drive normally (probably won't). 

Edit* actually managed to get it down to 9.2 on the dash, 10.48 in the real world. 

We are now running 3 norty Hondas in the family fleet now - I have an 05 Airwave, the wife has an 07 Stream and one daughter an 06 Fit. These things are all about economy, and every little thing alters fuel economy...shit, the other day I topped up my car with 500 ml of 15W-40, and it dropped from 18.5 km/l to 16.5 km/l. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2022 at 07:09, Willdat? said:

Drove 2GRFE family wagon from Nelson to Hanmer yesterday, 7.0L/100km is pretty respectable. Now that we have Milly the K11 it doesn't get driven around town at all. 

Took our 2gr lexus gs350 from New Plymouth to rotorua to auckland loaded up with the kids and holiday shit and got 7.5L /100. And I wasn't mucking around.

I'm pleased it did that cos it fuckin drinks it in town. :pale:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...