The Dutch, Scottish, & Indian people megathread (Driving economically)

Roman

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Nominal said:

What's the best option for a long open road commute, Christchurch - Ashburton daily, about 80km each way?

Possibly not the best route for a hybrid / aqua?

Is the E-note still recommended @Willdat??

I do 45 km each way from North Canterbury to the airport. I just bought an Aqua. Will see how it goes and report back. First mod was to increase tyre pressure from 29 to 39 psi.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Nominal said:

I thought it would be marginal, the earlier ones are maybe 140km range? I don't think a charging location is assured at the Ashburton end.

What's your budget?  A colleague with a Leaf with the bigger battery said he could do Orewa to Hamilton (160km) if the motorway traffic was freeflowing. 

24 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Not sure exactly, needs to be under 20k really. 

Do you want a spreadsheet to do your own figures? A Leaf will pretty much dominate fuel economy - but you'd need a $30,000 Leaf to cover that distance comfortably unless you can charge at work.

Little bro bought a Note E-Power for $11k so that's where that pricing comes from

Screenshot (69).png

• Thanks 1

On 28/02/2022 at 12:20, yoeddynz said:

K11s still make the most financial sense, what with the increasing interest and obvious investment potential, on top of economy figures that could go into the high 4s per 100km on long runs like that (1.3 manual) 

I should have qualified, no 2,3, or 4 wheel death traps :)

• Haha 1

On 28/02/2022 at 10:02, Willdat? said:

Do you want a spreadsheet to do your own figures? A Leaf will pretty much dominate fuel economy - but you'd need a $30,000 Leaf to cover that distance comfortably unless you can charge at work.

Little bro bought a Note E-Power for $11k so that's where that pricing comes from

Do you have this as a linkable xls?

Also, is the 2.7 for the E-note based on experience?

1 hour ago, Nominal said:

Do you have this as a linkable xls?

Also, is the 2.7 for the E-note based on experience?

The 2.7 is a 60/40 mix of around town and open road, full open road might be closer to 3.1. I'll PM you the link tomorrow, it's on my work computer. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cletus said:

Chev silverado.

12.6l/100 open road doesn't seem too bad for a big turd? 

I think my valiant is around 14 ish in similar conditions 

Wow. Is that from a trip computer or observed by km/fill up? Impressive for ‘Murica pickup.

• Like 1

Just did a trip Akl -> Hawkes Bay & back in our '05 v6 Highlander, managed to get down to 10.1 L/10km which I was pretty happy about, 4wd/AT Tyres, 2x people 2x mountainbikes & tonnes of gear. Was being mindful of the right foot though, minimal overtaking etc. Went up once we were there, gravel road adventures etc

• Like 3

With 91 now at $3 per litre I'm not using the car much, I now bike to and from work.. 

My ae101 corolla can get about 15km/l or 6.6/100 but that's on open roads + flat, 13.5 is more realistic for open road driving with a lot of hills/overtaking like heading south to Palmy.

The best my GF8 wrx achieved was about 8.8-9km/l, and my sw20 MR2 was just a shade better, despite being n/a. 

• Like 1