The Dutch, Scottish, & Indian people megathread (Driving economically)

Roman

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty tight now, it's just the extra shagging around with the RUC admin that created headaches for us. 

Funnily enough, RUC changes and submissions are on the cards... RUC has the potential to be coming to all motor vehicles in the future, with not a lot of talk about reducing the excise tax on juice either. In fact, more discussion about using the revenue created to fund non-road things.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/consultations/road-user-charges-consultation/

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, igor said:

Is there still an economy advantage with a small diesel vehicle when ruc is taken into account or does it then come pretty close to a similarly sized petrol vehicle cost wise?

Probably cheaper in a small vehicle to run a petrol i suspect.. Last time  I ran the numbers her car costs more in RUC than fuel per 1000km. I suspect it may have changed at current fuel prices.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alfashark said:

Pretty tight now, it's just the extra shagging around with the RUC admin that created headaches for us. 

Funnily enough, RUC changes and submissions are on the cards... RUC has the potential to be coming to all motor vehicles in the future, with not a lot of talk about reducing the excise tax on juice either. In fact, more discussion about using the revenue created to fund non-road things.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/consultations/road-user-charges-consultation/

I doubt the general population will swallow having to pay over 50% of the cost of fuel in taxes, pay over $3 a litre for fuel, and then also pay an extra fee per kilometer, knowing that the money will be used for things that aren't to do with transport, while also having to endure the pot holed goat track that is called a "road" in nz, while also only being allowed to traverse that road at a reduced rate of speed compared to 5 years ago

But hey, tell us that each individual has their own luminescence, yeah that will make it OK  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, cletus said:

I doubt the general population will swallow having to pay over 50% of the cost of fuel in taxes, pay over $3 a litre for fuel, and then also pay an extra fee per kilometer, knowing that the money will be used for things that aren't to do with transport, while also having to endure the pot holed goat track that is called a "road" in nz, while also only being allowed to traverse that road at a reduced rate of speed compared to 5 years ago

But hey, tell us that each individual has their own luminescence, yeah that will make it OK  

May feel like a goat track to you plebs without springs, but in my car with lush springs it feels like.... a goat track

• Like 4

A guy was telling me he did some promotional work for when they were selling the Triumph 2500 in NZ and on the economy test he would put a milk bottle full of petrol into the oil witch would thin out the oil and then be pulled into the combustion thrugh the PCV system and make the economy a bit better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 20/02/2022 at 09:49, yoeddynz said:

Thread dredge.

This thread is even more relevant with todays soaring fuel prices.  But rather than fill the climate change thread with econobox chat I thought I'd float @Roman thread back up to the surface.

I have a question....

I have been waking up in cold sweats ever since selling Milly the micra to @Willdat? because I fear that he has got the more economical car from our horde:lol:

The reason I think our Minky might be a tad thirstier is because of the LSD (no - not the drugs)

I'm wondering if the fact the outside wheel has to travel further on every bend but its creating friction within the LSD unit - energy lost into that lovely viscous gloop?

Or is it just because I'm having too much fun driving it with passion.

Also- Milly had 155 tyres when we sold her. Minky is shod with 175 (possibly soon to be 195...) - interested to see how much difference width can make?

Big block racecar. My 1.0 k10 shod with plastic biscuits used to go Manchester-london and back for about £20. Not sure on the mpg, but it was a lot.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2022 at 15:06, SOHC said:

A guy was telling me he did some promotional work for when they were selling the Triumph 2500 in NZ and on the economy test he would put a milk bottle full of petrol into the oil witch would thin out the oil and then be pulled into the combustion thrugh the PCV system and make the economy a bit better.

I played around with water injection on my triumph basically wound all carbs as lean as they'd go so it would lose power and ping then feed it water to stop the detonation. Was gutless but it did make it go much further on a tank, the clouds of water vapour coming out of it were quite comical as well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Muncie said:

I played around with water injection on my triumph basically wound all carbs as lean as they'd go so it would lose power and ping then feed it water to stop the detonation. Was gutless but it did make it go much further on a tank, the clouds of water vapour coming out of it were quite comical as well.

My 76 2500 TC ran out of petrol once and I was given a 60L drum about 1/4 of kerosene, disconnected the rubber fuel line before the pump and had a bottle full, thing took a wile to start but ran and drove ok but knocked alot and made white smoke, wouldn't turn off with the key and I needed to hold my hand over the intake to stop the engine

• Like 4

On 23/02/2022 at 15:06, SOHC said:

Documentary on the 1976 Mobil Economy Run, won outright by a Triumph 2500 (7.2l/100k), other classes (based on sales tax brackets) won by Austin Allegro (6.3l/100k), Triumph 2000 (8.5l/100k), and Holden Kingswood (9.7l/100k).  Bonnets were lockwired after scrutineering to anyone rorting the system.

https://www.ngataonga.org.nz/collections/catalogue/catalogue-item?record_id=66911&fbclid=IwAR1lFRkGWl2GIWOAAWdEkI2oCk8zlwnmn53bBvMk8qHzkJC6FIyWiOwwnnI

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, locost_bryan said:

Documentary on the 1976 Mobil Economy Run, won outright by a Triumph 2500 (7.2l/100k), other classes (based on sales tax brackets) won by Austin Allegro (6.3l/100k), Triumph 2000 (8.5l/100k), and Holden Kingswood (9.7l/100k).  Bonnets were lockwired after scrutineering to anyone rorting the system.

https://www.ngataonga.org.nz/collections/catalogue/catalogue-item?record_id=66911&fbclid=IwAR1lFRkGWl2GIWOAAWdEkI2oCk8zlwnmn53bBvMk8qHzkJC6FIyWiOwwnnI

You could still tip the petrol in before they did the inspection, no one would know

8 minutes ago, SOHC said:

You could still tip the petrol in before they did the inspection, no one would know

Pretty sure they were scrutineered at a Mobil garage, refilled with fresh Mobil oil, fuel tank drained and filled from the garage pumps via a certified measuring device.  The only dodgy liquids were those that the crews imbibed at the pub each night.

• Like 1