The Dutch, Scottish, & Indian people megathread (Driving economically)

Roman

6 hours ago, Willdat? said:

Kind of thread relevant, I'm helping a mate hyper mile a low SOH Nissan Leaf today to help get it from Blenheim to Nelson... Tyres to 50psi...drafting etc on the cards.

Now that's an entertaining challenge!

Generator in the boot, lead taped to the door and plugged into the front?

Wife's Niro went in for the 15k service last week - Comment in the general notes section on the invoice "Tires set to 40psi on handover, reset to 36psi". Get fucked! 40 cold is what let's you get to, and exceed the rated fuel consumption, without feeling like you're punting a whale carcass around corners.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaaaand FWIW, I pinched the Niro for my last night shift this week as my radar sensor for the cruise control on the golf threw a shitfit on my first night and managed a 3.7L/100 average on the 105km round trip - That's 0.1 better than the EX and SX trims are rated and 0.7 better than ours is rated at.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ajg193 said:

I've found my plate type LSD sucks a fair bit of speed off of the car if I am costing around fast corners.

But in saying that, the LSD just makes your right foot way heavier and that's the main thing that determines fuel consumption in a car.

I can believe that with a clutch type. 

Like its incredible how much a tight LSD in a RWD car can make the car push the front and understeer. 

It must be a fair bit of force to be able to do that. like having the inside brake part way on.

Basically you need to drive it like a gokart, tip it in so hard that the inside rear tyre is off the ground 

Good for economy too to keep the speed up 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Alfashark said:

Now that's an entertaining challenge!

Generator in the boot, lead taped to the door and plugged into the front?

I was going to run a big 2.5kW inverter off a car as an emergency back up charger, but it looked a bit industrial with 12mm leads... 

I ended out just driving at a constant 60km/h on the flat and hills (pulling over as soon as anyone came up behind) and maximum coast down the Whangamoas (interesting at 44psi, but it handles really nicely) . Arrived in town with 35 km of range. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Had the low fuel warning light come on when I was driving from Waihi to Katikati on Saturday.  Fortunately most of the way is temporary 50kmh due to road works for safety improvements, so the fuel economy was excellent.  Still had 5 litres in the tank when I filled up ($92!!!), could have gone another 100k before running dry. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, locost_bryan said:

Had the low fuel warning light come on when I was driving from Waihi to Katikati on Saturday.  Fortunately most of the way is temporary 50kmh due to road works for safety improvements, so the fuel economy was excellent.  Still had 5 litres in the tank when I filled up ($92!!!), could have gone another 100k before running dry. lol

136018022_Juicynarwhal_b671fd_8709412.jpg.c45e90e96c6e38bbef380ec9f4204025.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

They have testicles?!! 

Speaking of which, I’m seriously considering buying an Aqua for cheap runnings…unless a tidy big block K11 comes along in the next few days. 
People struggle to work me out when they see my fleet. Nissan Leaf parked next to Grand Cherokee V8. Parking an Uber in the drive would be funny.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sunbeam said:

Wow. Didn’t know manual hybrids existed. Still, spendy/small market?

The Honda CR-Z is common enough too, a bit like a 2nd gen CRX with middle aged spread. Hybrid and manual...

1703193116.jpg

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/honda/cr-z/listing/3481476335

I considered one briefly, but then my Golf appeared and that was the end of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, deankdx said:

i used to work with a guy hypermiling an early suzuki swift was tailgating trucks on the freeway saving "considerable" fuel ... until a truck flicked up a rock cracking his windscreen.  (not to mention the sandblasting of the headlight glass and paint on the front of it. 

We slip-streamed a coach in a 2CV for 20 miles at 60 mph. Had it in neutral most of the time.

Also, in economical pickup truck news, tailgate net returns the best mileage vs open, closed & removed.

• Like 4