The Dutch, Scottish, & Indian people megathread (Driving economically)

Roman

any of you dweebs running a lighter engine and/or trans oil? 

My work ute has dropped 1-1.5L/100km since we whacked it on the 5w-30 synthetic it's 'supposed' to run vs. the 10w-40 synth that we pump into little trucks that have the same engine are meant to run.

running 5w-30 in the trans now instead of the 15w-40 it used to as well. (isuzu 4cyl manual boxes run engine oil and will barely shift if you use heavier gear oil)

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As said earlier there is for sure gains to lighter oil. Running thick oil without measuring pressure on the engine is silly. 

Trans is another kettle of fish nut makes sense to run as light as possible. I think I hinted earlier that some drag cars guys use the lightest lubricants possible everywhere (ie no grease packed wheel bearings etc)

• Like 1

yar. castrol is/was pushing a fuel saver engine oil to jokers running 15w-40 a couple of years back. save fuel by smacking 5w-30 in there. not something I'd probably do on a high load engine that's designed for 15w-40 tbh but who am I to know. 

my pos is recommended 5w-30 in both engine and trans but we were rolling 10w-40 coz that's what the small trucks with same engine recommend and we have that in the bulk tank etc etc. definitely worthwhile running a lowly stressed ute on the thinner stuff though. 

The fact I'd be getting a bargain as well as fuel economy, adds an explosive exponential growth to the smugness.

It's hard to know exactly how smug because I'd probably have passed out by that point.

• Like 7

Pulse & glide confirmed (not that there was a question)

Fuel-up Added 12.1 L/100km Details
  • MPG: 19.5 / UK MPG: 23.4

one of my best tanks ever in the e34 including a bit of trailer towing!