The Dutch, Scottish, & Indian people megathread (Driving economically)

Roman

Haha crackup!

This is kind of the flaw with measuring Coefficient of Drag, frontal area is part of the equation.
If he's kept the same CD but increased frontal area by a fair bit, then he HAS increased drag.
For the Kayak to be "cost neutral" he'd need to have ended up with a lower CD to offset the extra area.

Not sure why he's bothered calculating CD anyway because solidworks would have given him the total drag number (which is more meaningful) in order to run his calculation with.

His numbers are way off anyway, with a sanity check there's no friggen way a late model BMW has a CD over 0.5

It's a nice model of the car though! Wish I knew how to draw stuff that well in Solidworks haha.

Didn't quite read the whole article - but that model car is a Pontiac G8 aka Holden Commodore.

• Like 2

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im very keen on building something along the lines of this...

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/MPGuino

Man I would be fizzing at having a realtime readout telling me exactly what MPG I am getting whilst driving!!!!

Dave- you keen on going halves on building some? We can get Ned to help and feed him with sandwiches in return.

• Like 2

I dont have need for one personally, but could be interesting as a project.

One thing though, if its for the Viva have you considered something like this?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-get-instant-fuel-consumption-megasquirt-5474.html

You'd need the laptop plugged in to see results, but its free which aligns well with our spending philosophies haha.

• Like 1

Im very keen on building something along the lines of this...

http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/MPGuino

Man I would be fizzing at having a realtime readout telling me exactly what MPG I am getting whilst driving!!!!

Dave- you keen on going halves on building some? We can get Ned to help and feed him with sandwiches in return.

Hooking up 3 wires is hardly building! 

I'm keen to put one on the Caldina, there is even 3sfe calibration data there to get started :)

Yeah I think you can get it as a kit? Ive not looked that far. Saying that, the complete built unit is only 46 Euros plus post which aint too bad. But its just more fun building these things.

Dave- that free MS thing is certainly free..but only works in 5th gear unless one can be bothered to do it for each gear. Plus it means I have to have either my laptop open or use MSdroid on my phone which I've not used for ages because it kept dropping out.

Just keen on a neat little permanent display somewhere on dash.

He's not interested in buying and fitting that. He seriously means build the same kind of unit and then fit it.

I was being a smart arse for it being quite a simple circuit for what it achieves, with the code available to load onto the arduino the most difficult part looks to be tracing an injector wire back for the input. 

MPGuino_Schematic.GIF

• Like 2

finding injector pulse is easy - there are only two wires per injector and you just want the one that doesn't have +12V feed going to it. I think the hardest part would be setting up a speed sensor for vehicles that don't have a stock speed sensor.

how can they seem like a good idea? 

like water proof tea bags (for campers/trampers) or ejector seats on Helicopters or a solar powered Torch.....

Next the Govt will tell you Smoking is good for your health

because you are all interested

the drag coefficients of a 1962 morris minor (no match for a low light im sure)

Drag coefficient (Cd, Cx, Cw) 0.5 Frontal area (A) 2.03 m2 / 21.8 sq ft / 21.8 sq ft (est.) Aerodynamic coefficient (Cd×A) 1.01 m2 / 10.9 sq ft / 10.9 sq ft (est.) Aerodynamic resistance (Aero horse power) at 100 km/h (62 mph) 25.2 kW / 33.8 hp / 33.8 hp (est.)

*that was all a nice table before, nevermind

ol mate vizard says cd is actually 0.342, but its just based on cars of that era and their size or something

• Like 2