The Dutch, Scottish, & Indian people megathread (Driving economically)

Roman

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I have to hand in my Dutch card because I own a V8, a turbo rotary and only one of my 7 vehicles could be considered cheap on petrol and even that one I have turned into a project and ported, etc.?

/slash I'll read this properly later.

• Like 1

P.S. I use Fuelly for novelty purposes.

FD (13BT): 15.6l/100km

V8 (VH41): 15.3l/100km

(unused cars)

Sunny (A15): 6.7l/100km

(old cars)

Carina (I forget): 10.1l/100km

KHR30 (L20ET): 10.7l/100km

H330 (L26): 14.6l/100km

E39 (I forget): 11.6l/100km)

Actually, my wagon should be OK too but I haven't tracked that as yet. (I also wound the fuel up on that though, black smoke choochin')

• Like 1

P.S. I use Fuelly for novelty purposes.

(old cars)

Carina (I forget): 10.1l/100km

KHR30 (L20ET): 10.7l/100km

I got 14.7l/100km out of the 230 when I bought it off you - after I'd fucked with the carb and sorted the timing I managed low 12's with the auto, then dipped into the 10's with the manual on that massive roadtrip we did in it.

So my tip for economy in old cars - do a manual swap. Neal I'm looking at you.

• Like 2

Something else to consider (though you briefly touched on in another aspect) is how your wheel/tire and gear ratio combo effects things.

eg. I put tiny tires on the Gloria wagon because they get it lower to the ground but it runs a 4.1 or 4.3 rear from stock, expecting a far taller tire so now my highway and indeed city revs are stupidly high and the first 2-3 gears in the manual gearbag are almost a waste of time.

I'm currently at approximately a 10% diameter deficit that I will remedy by final drive alterations. Ideally I would like a 3.5 rear, this should help a whole lot.

Something else to consider (though you briefly touched on in another aspect) is how your wheel/tire and gear ratio combo effects things.

eg. I put tiny tires on the Gloria wagon because they get it lower to the ground but it runs a 4.1 or 4.3 rear from stock, expecting a far taller tire so now my highway and indeed city revs are stupidly high and the first 2-3 gears in the manual gearbag are almost a waste of time.

I'm currently at approximately a 10% diameter deficit that I will remedy by final drive alterations. Ideally I would like a 3.5 rear, this should help a whole lot.

Yeah I'm doing ~3400rpm @ 100kph with a 4.3 final drive which doesnt help anything. 

If I could find a cheap S15 six speed box and swap 6th gear over into mine. (It's possible apparently)

The rpm at 100kph would drop to ~3000rpm, without adversely changing 1-5th as you would with a final drive swap.

A bit more of a mission though! 

• Like 2

Regarding your second and third '2.'s, on cars I've had with instantaneous fuel consumption readouts, they go to 0 l/100km going down a hill in gear as the hill turns the engine over. Putting it in neutral, fuel consumption would rise to a few l/100km because the engine has to burn petrol to not stall. I don't know if that would be offset by how much further along the flat you'd get before having to engage drive again though.

Also, I don't like the idea of people coasting in neutral in case the engine conks out and you lose power steering and brake boost. And if you have to power out of an emergency situation, there'll be more of a delay. e.g. when a Jafa changes lanes on the motorway when you're at their B-pillar, braking is useless and it can be better to power past them. *brmmmm redline*

*bugger, I'm in neutral*

*smash*

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I drive my Jazz like a nana, get some good numbers going, and then the wife will blast round town in it, and ruin everything. It seems to get low to mid 5's with normal open road driving. If you drive smoothly and at sub 90kmh speeds, it can drop into the 4's. 

Kinda keen to build a cardboard whale tail, pump the tyres up to 100psi, and see what she can do.

• Like 4

Somewhat unrelated, but its been very interesting driving around in a Tesla, because it gives you instant kWh/mile and projected range based on your current driving. A couple of times I've been caught out without enough range to get to the next supercharger (dat range anxiety), but managed to get there by driving extremely smoothly and turning off the AC, lowering the suspension and stuff like that. People have competitions to see how much range they can get out of a Tesla, I think the record is a ~2x increase in range over the EPA rated range (885km from an expected 430km, and that was only using 90% of the charge), by driving a constant 45km/h or something. I was surprised how much your speed affects your consumption.

Also, I'm Dutch, and the Netherlands is planning on banning imports of consumer petrol and diesel vehicles in 2025. 

• Like 6

Powerful cars save lives.

A good example of powering through a situation where braking wouldnt work.

Would be if you were in an evo rally car, and your pace notes say that someone threw their baby in a basket just behind the next crest.

You have to do a sweet jump or you'll squash the baby.

• Like 5