Nick's 89 VW Golf Mk2

so i bought this from mega GC Tim off of here, when it popped up cheap i had to snap it up
-jap import
-1800 8v (G60?)
-auto 
-boat spec 

wjYOtLJ.jpg?1

W2Pwyga.jpg?1

body is fairly straight, little bit of rust creeping underneath the windscreen, and some poor attempts at rust repairs on the rear hatch. 
the engine performs okay considering its size and spec, however it leaks oil out the engine/crankcase breather? i assume built up pressure in the crank, or a line somewhere is blocked. if anyone knows more info on these and how to remedy would love to hear. 

plans are to give it a well needed cut and polish, give the springs a bosch haircut, fellow golf foamers let me know your thoughts on suitable adjustable suspension for these. from what ive seen Raceland ones seem to be pretty good. acquire wide 13s from japans and perhaps a manwell box later on. 

inspiration
002.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

well this was quite the non-event... i moved islands, no way was taking this with me ever going to be feasible. ended up selling to some gavin who had plans of a hektik track car... it popped up on the tard $1 reserve one week later.

however i stumbled into Repco Queenstown for my usual order of blue checker plate floormats and bargain bin spanner sets, when i spotted this thing outside. the owner of the car was behind the counter, a British lad, and saw me cheesin, engaged in a sharn, and said if you want it make an offer as my visa is up in december. so as the stars aligned, i purchased another one! 

v3b89gi.jpg

this one is suuper lush compared to the last - manwell 8 valver with 66 kw of pure self esteem, two extra headlights, knock off bbs' and still too many doors.

last owner was a foamer for golfs back in the uk, has recently put in a new clutch, timing belt, and while he was there inspected and replaced head gasket. so it is a minta! look forward to putting it through its paces.

1qXuYpH.jpg

ydQjBOt.jpg?1

has a few bits and pieces i would like to tidy up, namely the door trims and replace the grill with a not cable tied/gti number.

and some bosch incisions to the ride height. enjoy  

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

wee update, which reads more like a testimonial

this thing hauled me around the south island with ease, over 1200kms of alpine passes and coastal goodness. and it only burnt 2 litres of oil! a win in my book. maybe something thicker next oil change...

YKaz8A6.jpg?1

o7uRyBT.jpg?1

i finally tracked down some door trims from Lane in Wellington, massive thanks to Kicker for grabbing and keeping them for me. exterior now looks a lot better. amazing what a piece of plastic can do

kdEtfwT.jpg?1

also picked up a mint driving light grille from him as well. some stubborn headlight bolts on the old grille stopped me from putting it on. will get into that once i can source a correct VW badge for it

ElzcJSB.jpg?1

engine fan is temperamental at the best of times - previous owner had wired in a manual switch as it wasn't turning on with thermostatically. i can have the fan switched on at start up and most of the time it will not operate, but i can hear it humming once i hit around 100km/h on the open road, the temp guage drops a little also. often i would find coming into a town and stopping at a set of lights it would rise back up again, and when i take off/back on the open road it will drop again. id imagine the engine runs hotter idling and at low speeds, but i would like to keep the temp down as much as poss and have fan on all the time. anyone have any ideas on this issue? discuss below

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/54600-nicks-mk2-golf-discussion/