Altezza torsen diff into my gx61??

be4ver

Have got a torsen from an altezza that I want to put into my gx61.

Can anyone tell me if anything needs modified etc?

Or will it bolt straight in if I change the crown wheel off the open head?

I want to use the car for a motorkahana in the weekend so I don't really want to pull it all apart if its not going to be real straight forward.

Thanks!

If you already have a F series diff in this car then you just swap the LSD centre over the alteazza gears are useless too you. Only thing special you need is the ability to set the diff up again in the right position when you put it back together

I want to use the car for a motorkahana in the weekend so I don't really want to pull it all apart if its not going to be real straight forward.

Then wait until after... You're dealing with 30+ year old parts so something unexpected will happen. 

If you just swap the guts over, your contact patch on the gears might not be correct anymore. In which case it's a bit more tricky to setup from there. 

So long as you leave the pinion gear completely untouched, and use the same bearings you might be right.

Just dont back off the nut on the pinion flange EVER unless you're replacing the crush tube etc inside.

Agree with Roman. You will most likely need a couple shims to centre it as the old F series IRS housings don't have adjustment like some other Toyota diffs. Wait until you have a few weeks the car can be off the road, it's best to take your time.

No offence but if you have to ask on the forum and have a short deadline chances are you are not prepared to do this. Wait until you can make a few mistakes and not miss the event completely.

You can download the factory manuals for a few 80's Toyotas that have the procedure for setting up these diffs. Get that and read it, if you can follow that procedure and think you can do it, go ahead.

Thanks for the replys guys.

I wont be missing out on the event,I was planning on doing it in my lancer anyway. I just had a last minute thought (as always) about putting this diff in the gx and using that. And if it's worth the bother to spend some evenings on it before the weekend.

If it doesn't work out then I'll just use my lancer.

I'll give it a go I think

• Like 2