Sunbeam's 1970 Singer Vogue of Accidentality

• 4 weeks later...

So, when I bought this car, I thought it was a bit tappety. Behold, the mighty "power"plant

post-18311-0-46635500-1464423761_thumb.jpg

So I checked the clearances and found that they were actually all a bit tight, ranging from 0 to 6 thou. They are meant to be 12 inlet 14 exhaust. I'm lazy so I just set them all to 13.

Of course this has done nothing to quieten it down. I wonder if maybe the rocker shaft is worn out?

Other than noise, the motor runs very well. No smoke, hardly any leaks, starts if you so much as glance at the key. Plugs all nice even light brown.

Oh check out the LOL spec mega battery. It was the PO's practice to retire his camper van battery in the Singer... I'm sure the suspension has sagged on this side of the car because of it. Might change it out for a normal one and slash a second or two off the 1/4 mile time....

post-18311-0-59325600-1464424097_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

post-18311-0-12369200-1472778017_thumb.jpg

So, I just gave the old girl a tune up and a new water pump and shouted her a much more realistic battery. I also replaced the rocker shaft and she sounds mint now. Sadly, I need to sell her as I have just spent a lot of cash on a Fiat 125 and the minister of finance is having kittens. 

post-18311-0-48642600-1472778035_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...