Nissan Z18ET compression/oiling issue

BlownCorona

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Iunno , that crack goes a fair damn way down that thread. However id give the rebuilders the benefit of the doubt, unless it means more business for them later. 

Im still of the opinion that the issue we want to concentrate on is the lack of compression yeah?
I want to see the pistons so bad just so we can X or not.

depends what events you want to run though , that car has run in a few 'classic' events which it could still do with a Z or L or FJ motor but only two of those can be done cheaply ...... if you are not worried about classicness or datsun-ness there are some great options out there too . but for me I would go Z based as best bang for buck , no fabrication , classic option :-)

jgt2abtc.1m1.jpg

vtstghgh.ti0.jpg

luxhefqf.r4u.jpg

pistons 2 and 3 are pretty cracked. didnt get a chance to pull #4. but im expecting it to be alright like #1 is, due to the similar compression readings. the bores still look perfect so no issues there thankfully. 

the crack in the block goes down roughly 8mm and although im uneasy with the call, the engine shop rekons it would be alright and they see it often. i think dad is going to take some detailed pictures or maybe the whole block in to them to look at. 

i believe the current plan is to chuck replacement parts at it and get it back on the track running the same gear as it has for years previously. possibly get a checkup on the tune. 

jgt2abtc.1m1.jpg
vtstghgh.ti0.jpg
luxhefqf.r4u.jpg

pistons 2 and 3 are pretty cracked. didnt get a chance to pull #4. but im expecting it to be alright like #1 is, due to the similar compression readings. the bores still look perfect so no issues there thankfully. 

the crack in the block goes down roughly 8mm and although im uneasy with the call, the engine shop rekons it would be alright and they see it often. i think dad is going to take some detailed pictures or maybe the whole block in to them to look at. 

i believe the current plan is to chuck replacement parts at it and get it back on the track running the same gear as it has for years previously. possibly get a checkup on the tune. 

I would not use that block

• Like 5

if possible - fit pistons with thinner compression rings and a wider gap between the rings. The older style pistons with thick rings and a narrow ring land gap are more prone to cracking like this.