RUST

Mr Vapour

i have, it is a rust neutralizer that forms a skin on it.  Seems ok but i'd scrape the skin off with wire brush and put a protective coating on it.  The skin is not something i'd trust yet, don't think it lasts more than 6 months in weather.

I've been using Brunox for years. Rust where steel replacement isn't necessary, grind or sand as much rust out as possible, coat in brunox leave for 24 hours or longer. 

If it's a exterior panel requiring a quality finish, sand out as much of the brunox as possible before prepping. If it's an area you don't care too much about like under carpet, you don't need to sand it out before coating depending on your coating material. It says it converts to a primer, but this is not suitable for panel finishing. It has poor adhesion and may react with certain coatings.

Where steel replacement is necessary, I spray on after the repair is complete. Again, leave for 24 hours before prepping further.

Fish oil for surfaces that won't be painted

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rust can eat 2-3mm a year I believe which is a noticeable amount. I have backlog resto cars stored outside that I've sprayed damaged areas and the rusty bits don't appear to be any worse a year or two later. It's at minimum enough to not make time a factor for increasing complexity of the repair

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My van has loads of rust on the side of the roof, it's surface rust that has bubbled up through the paint. I'll post some pictures up later.

A lot of the advice on here has been about rust removal on parts that are able to be removed from the car.

Would it be possible to wire brush this down and use the acid and then reprotect/paint this?

Yeah, that's not surface rust.

That's more likely either an inadequate previous repair job or an inadequate previous prep and paint job.

I think you're right as there's paperwork for previous rust repair. Whoever paid for it got shafted!

Somehow this rust past its last WOF just before I bought it...  :cry:

Rot from the inside out by the looks to the power of a rivet and bad prior repairs.

Condensation on the inside of the van ends trapped in the unpainted internal gutter an the skin. Often made worse on campers and mini bus due to all the moist skin bags breathing all up and throught that.