chrisr hz tonner discussion

chris r

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, dr.wylde said:

Love what you've done with the ignition system, I'm in a similar position as my Holden V8 Hei distributor module has started to pack up. What you've done has given me something to think about.

Would you be able to show a diagram on how you've wired it in? no pressure! 

Yeah ill draw up a diagram when I get a moment 

4 hours ago, The Bronze said:

I'm so confused right now.

You're injecting it, with a custom set up using an assortment of Falcon parts?

It's a multi-step process.

Step one is 34adm carb off falcon and I'll run around with that for a while.

Step two will be set up the trigger wheel and inputs into the ECU and do wasted spark.

After that is reliable and running well and I have cobbled more parts ill use the falcon TBI unit and inject it

I'll probably do the injection after I rebuild the motor and port the head. Playing with a laptop and learning tuning is much more appealing than changing jets

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bearded Baldy said:

I was looking at going efi in the xc, then they changed the rules in april and now it will need certs. Which i don't want the hassle with personally.

Will be watching closely, might get reinspired.

The cert part is also why the injection plan is on the back burner for the short term anyway. Even if I don't end up running it permanently it'll be a fun learning exercise

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dr.wylde said:

cheers mate , looking forward to seeing how it works out for you. I might do the same on my car  when the time comes .

If I'm super keen I'll get everything bolted up and possibly start it some point this week

• Like 1

Fyi those bosch 3 chanel ignitiors need a decent sized heat sink, i cooked one testing ignition on a small piece of ali, also be wary series 1 3.8 square coils are prone to failure.

That efi throttle body setup off the falcon looks like it  should work pretty good on the carby manifold.

on another note i take it the trigger wheel showed up 

4 hours ago, vk327 said:

Fyi those bosch 3 chanel ignitiors need a decent sized heat sink, i cooked one testing ignition on a small piece of ali, also be wary series 1 3.8 square coils are prone to failure.

That efi throttle body setup off the falcon looks like it  should work pretty good on the carby manifold.

on another note i take it the trigger wheel showed up 

I was planning on putting it on a decent sized heat sink when I eventually get onto that stage of the project. 

Yeah it's the least bad option in terms of injection. It'll be easy enough to fit onto the manifold and not be difficult to adapt onto the manifold. 

Oh yes it did thanks. I forgot to let you know it arrived 

Does anyone know what thread the exhaust stud nuts are on the 202s are? I dropped one and its disappeared into the void. 

And the port that's missing the nut seems to be the only one that is not leaking. 

Also a barb that bolts onto the mechanical fuel pump would be amazing so I can semi nicely do the fuel supply to the carb 

On 25/06/2020 at 20:59, rusty360 said:

Is it running better with the weber than the old single stromy

I haven't done much except the open header video. No not at the moment but I haven't even set the idle mixture etc or finished the exhaust yet. Will report back when I've made more progress 

Weber Specs charge like the proverbial wounded bull.

Go and see Bruce Manon from Manon & Butler Motors in Barrys Point Rd Takapuna, IMOP hes one of the best Weber tuners in the country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sr2 said:

Go and see Bruce Manon from Manon & Butler Motors in Barrys Point Rd Takapuna, IMOP hes one of the best Weber tuners in the country.

Thanks. I'll give him a bell and see what he says 

14 hours ago, sr2 said:

Bruce is now retired/ doesn't pop into the business very often now unfortunately. 

Weber Specs said the 34adm are shit on 202 and w're shit on the falcons and I need to get a new 32/36 and put water lines on the manifold etc etc. 

So I'll have to figure out some aliexpress jets or something. 

I'm assuming the 23/36 jets are similar/will work? 

1 hour ago, chris r said:

Bruce is now retired/ doesn't pop into the business very often now unfortunately. 

Weber Specs said the 34adm are shit on 202 and w're shit on the falcons and I need to get a new 32/36 and put water lines on the manifold etc etc. 

So I'll have to figure out some aliexpress jets or something. 

I'm assuming the 23/36 jets are similar/will work? 

LOL, I'd be taking Weber Specs comments with a grain of salt. They have a reputation for being somewhat.... ahem..... "opinionated" to say the least, (looks like they were angling to sell you a new 32/36?).

I ran an XE Coon in the early 90's and the 34ADM on it started, idled and ran smoothly - a huge improvement on the stromberg carb on the XA Coon I'd had before.

It's hard to escape that this has been a very common swap in Aussie for decades and most use the existing 'Coon jetting. 

Classic example from the GMH-Torana Forum - these guys know their stuff. 

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/topic/75566-weber-34-adm/

Just now, sr2 said:

LOL, I'd be taking Weber Specs comments with a grain of salt. They have a reputation for being somewhat.... ahem..... "opinionated" to say the least, (looks like they were angling to sell you a new 32/36?).

I ran an XE Coon in the early 90's and the 34ADM on it started, idled and ran smoothly - a huge improvement on the stromberg carb on the XA Coon I'd had before.

It's hard to escape that this has been a very common swap in Aussie for decades and most use the existing 'Coon jetting. 

Classic example from the GMH-Torana Forum - these guys know their stuff. 

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/topic/75566-weber-34-adm/

All I took away form him was only interested in selling me a new carb and some other expensive adapter and water line kit for the manifold 

They also sell a rebuild kit for the 34 adm if they were as shit as they say why do they stock parks for them....

I've found nothing but good reviews about the 34adm in my research 

It can't be worse than the single barrel stromberg that I took off 

• Like 1