chrisr hz tonner discussion

chris r

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, vk327 said:

@chris r i have a spare 36-1 trigger wheel for 202 balancer i used with my link atom on the vk build @flyingbrick done the cad file and got it cut for me, if you go that route with efi 

ooh that'll be amazing. that'd be great so I can do wasted spark and ditch the dizzy

3 hours ago, rusty360 said:

If ya dont mind me asking what did ya pay for the manifold?

I paid 150 which I was happy enough with. I was trawling marketplace and found a really old add and messaged the guy on the off chance he still had it
I found a new manifold ex aussie but it was a bit too spenny

• Like 2

Au 1 falcoon coilpack is the go for a wasted spark setup, along with a bosch triple channel ignitior from a volvo makes an easy setup, nounted my coils on heavy ali angle with the igniter bolted to the bottom using the ali to heat sink, also used a ba falcon VR sensor for the crank pickup, sensor type will depend what ecu you use tho, also check out thesonic injection throttlebody injection stuff for the 9 port 202

20181107_190858_compress6.jpg

20181126_220544_compress79.jpg

20180529_165545_compress81.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, tortron said:

Would a commodore coil pack work, I have one you can have for free. Take the crank angle sensor too

Commodore ones would work but a pain to wire up as they are designed to fit down on the dfi module base with tabs sticking up on the base for the connections, the au coil has a nice 4pin plug and about $90 new for a bosch one 

• Like 1

On 21/05/2020 at 09:47, vk327 said:

if you havent got a carb yet check out palmside.co.nz, they  sell  the 32/36  weber new for a reasonable price new, also  if you have the ability to weld a water heating tube to  the bottom of the manifold for anti  icing, done that to  the redline manifold i had on my hq 202  made a huge difference to not having cold fuel pool in the manifold, was running a new 32/36dgv from weber specs,  that and the vk electronic dizzy  worked well on the old 202

I saw they had a reasonably priced 32/36, I scored a 34adm off a falcon for 100 so thats in budget for now and will do the job while I collect bits

I had a look at thesonic 9 port stuff and its a bit spenny. For similar money (once accessories are priced up) I can just go for a fitech or holley 2 barrel tbi setup with hand controler etc
I might steal some of their ideas though if I go further down that rabbit hole

• Like 1

on my running around this morning I priced up a new au coil and the bosch ignition module. Both were too spenny for my tastes. Had a quick look on trademe and found this. thats a bit more in my budget. I was debating if I get a $20 aliexpress module but decided against it

I sent @vk327 some $ and i've got a fancy crank trigger on the way. 

I've had no luck with finding a tbi off a falcon so am thinking about barrying up a injector setup to bolt onto the manifold. 

Yes ideally the injectors will spray onto a hot valve but I can't tig aluminium etc etc so I'll barry up a tbi setup of some description. one option I'm thinking about is use 3 injectors and aim one down each runner but I'll have a play and see what fits 

• Like 1

lGHxJk8.jpg

Basically this but with injectors at a angle. It'll be 'fun' figuring out a fuel rail for it that'll work. 

I could also have them nearly vertical and spray onto the floor of the manifold and it can just mist around carb spec 

• Like 1

be better to  weld or tap in injector bosses above the ports and not have fuel dropout issues that  throttlebody injection has,  efi hardware in ausie do a bunch of different style bosses and also individual injector rail fittings (PS the crank trigger will be on its way as soon as the courier actually picks it up)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, vk327 said:

be better to  weld or tap in injector bosses above the ports and not have fuel dropout issues that  throttlebody injection has,  efi hardware in ausie do a bunch of different style bosses and also individual injector rail fittings (PS the crank trigger will be on its way as soon as the courier actually picks it up)

8 hours ago, vk327 said:

I'm aware it's much better, I'm trying to do this as cheap as reasonably possible.

If i end up going port injection I'll realistically have to go to a different manifold style all together as throttle bodies will clash with fuel rails etc etc. 

Yes fuel drop out is bad, how much worse will it be conpsred a carb though? 

It's more of a learning exercise at the end of the day. If the fuel side of things doesn't work out I can just have waay over complicated fancy programmable ignition 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2020 at 00:56, The Bronze said:

I laser cut a few gaskets for the base of an adm. Shout out if you need one. Also a spare spacer or two but dunno how they'll work to the adapter. 

Ooh yes please. I'll see what the carb kit comes with when it strived but I think I'll need some.

Should be fine as I am planning to he only using weber pattern 

So the interwebs told me that the falcon tbi module is Weber pattern. I don't know if the ea is different but it is not the same bolt pattern

That's the gasket of the 34adm on the base of the TBI unit

XVvyC73.jpg

It doesn't matter that it's different as I'll just make another adaptor plate to suit 

Love what you've done with the ignition system, I'm in a similar position as my Holden V8 Hei distributor module has started to pack up. What you've done has given me something to think about.

Would you be able to show a diagram on how youve wired it in? no pressure!