Chris' 79 Hz tonner

chris r

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a family lunch so we had a play with the plasma cutter and made some exhaust hanger mounts 

svb72QL.jpg

hBUOmeF.jpg

I borrowed a charger and fired up the laptop which talked to the stinger which is nice. 

I raided a k20 a zebra for the cam sensors which I plan to use for the crank trigger. Scoped out the sensor on the daily so I know what's going on 

d7LS7Jx.jpg

• Like 5

so I made a note of the jets etc

Primary main fuel jet is 140

secondary main fuel jet is 210

primary air corrector jet 170

Secondary air corrector jet is 180

Didn't pull the emulsion tubes out as cbf

I'm assuming bigger number = More fuel / air?

I'll wack the points dizzy back in as I don't fully trust the aliexpress and second hand dizzy to do its thing properly. That way I'll only be working with one variable/unknown rather than two.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Tacked up the tailpipe and am fairly happy with where it's sitting. It's interesting how a couple of bends after the muffler really quietens stuff down! 

aXbozkU.jpg

JG4JQuq.jpg

That sums my current feelings up. 

It was pouring fuel in again, it was my fault for not tightening the base screws enough. Put the carb back on and it's still running poorly (un surprising as I didn't really fix anything) 

I dropped my brake hoses off at sterling brake and clutch. I ended up needing some custom ones made up as for whatever reason my originals were 20mm longer than every other tonner/hz listing. 

I'll go grab some washers tomorrow as I lost my other ones 

• Like 5

so thanks to @1963 AP5 for the weber info. I pulled and capped all of the vacuum lines off the carb and put the solenoid in the correct position and fired it up. Still popping/backfiring and misbehaving.

I managed to get it idling and chucked the timing light on it again. The timing was on the piss. I thought I may have had the pickup coil polarity wrong on the module. Swapped the wires over and it wouldnt idle well at all but reved out cleanly but timing was WAAY to advanced. So my idea of using the gm HEI module wasnt as good as I initially though due to its internal advance and it not liking the low idle speed. I've lost my points dizzy somewhere in the garage so can't use that to test. I could go buy  genuine Bosch module for not a lot of money but I can get a jaycar ignition kit and barry it up myself for less money. That way I can use my barry jaycar progressive shift kit and rev limit module I made a few years ago. Might even be able to be a cool kid and do pops and bangs

Tonight I learned how to fail at AN hose fittings, Took a million attempts but I finally got it sorted. 

TbqH7gL.jpg

Q9CrB8B.jpg

MbkpOxS.jpg

The 202 breathes heaps because old and tired and the old airfilter was FULL of oil. I figured I'd polish a turd and use some of my finest aliexpress fittings and catch can to try and remedy that

ZpfdMuV.jpg

• Like 4

Fixed photos in other post 

Re timing after I swapped polarity for the pickup coil the GM HEI module it the timing was 10ADTC at idle and with any revs it would jump to 20+ BTDC. so that was never going to work nicely. Atleast it was a cheap lesson (I bought the modules as spares for the van)

Ooh yeah barry time 

SsWIumO.jpg

i3Suo5O.jpg

OwdsZ8Z.jpg

Ready to do the smoke test and hopefully not have 30+ degrees of timing change. Bonus with this kit is if I get the polarity wrong on the pickup. I can just Wang a jumper in and Invert it 

• Like 7

Soldered stuff  on

WGVKxfM.jpg

Made a less ugly Lead 

9rHCv2N.jpg

Quickly connected for testing/setup 

Q0ruZGQ.jpg

Wired it up and set the dwell/made sure it worked 

Quickly cobbled together a throttle bracket (it's shit, flexes and doesn't put the cable in the right place) 

QdmDBJI.jpg

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally got around to ordering the idle jet. Cdl had no jet holder /screw in stock so I barried something up as a holder to test. 

bhnHDSf.jpg

FLEW29L.jpg

AfOl5pQ.jpg

Still runs like shit and backfires. 

Very tempted to rage quit and jam the og stromberg back on so Its drivable 

Don't need a wideband to know its been running rich

MFFJPJ0.jpg

tried reversing this out of the garage so I could tidy up the crap off the floor and weld the o2 bung etc, it wouldn't make it up the slope of the driveway so I threw my toys out of the cot

vkETgOy.jpg

kMiS9Ie.jpg

Now its actually drivable under its own power again.

I was reminded why I had disconnected the heater hose, the windscreen fogs up with the heater core connected so I suspect its got a pinhole or some other fuckery is going on. Will loop the hoses onto the manifold and call it fixed until I have the motivation to pull the core out and get it looked at.

Now i've finally had a chance to go for a decent test drive the brakes are nicer than before but still quite touchy and the rears lock up.  Last wof they mentioned the line to the rear was a bit rusty so I'll drop it off to sterling and get them to do the hard line and see whats causing the other issues

• Like 6

I need to go pick up a ladder from bunnings tomorrow so instead of welding the exhaust stuff up I replaced the wiper/indicator switch. 

The stalk was broken when I got the tonner and taped together, I had jammed some epoxy in it and that had held and worked nicely until the wiper switch stopped working. I couldn't find the correct colour switch but that tan is a better match than a red or black

fRQOdtQ.jpg

Had to barry up a press to pull the wheel off

uijR23Q.jpg

5qVUxmF.jpg

I'd noticed a couple of flakes of paint under the cowel and figured I'd have a look 

qw13yoa.jpg

wqYjTkZ.jpg

Had a good poke around with a screwdriver and wire brush. Luckily it's all surface and no rust holes 

CYfrB7Z.jpg

Have it a degrease and a good squirt with brunox. 

a1J0rAi.jpg

Seems to be doing what to says on the packet. I'll give it another coat and stick the grill back on and ignore it for now. 

There is a bit of rust at the top of the a pillars which I gave a squirt of rust convertor years ago, they've not gotuch worse but I'll have to give it to someone to fix at some point. 

The horn was a bit shit so I got something a bit louder from aliexpress

4X0DpFw.jpg

• Like 8

New switch in and wheel back together 

0icNeGH.jpg

Had a bit of a poke on the passengers side a pillar. My great aunty said she had some rust taken out at some point. I'm picking they did the industry standard bog over it and paint it 

umdH2bm.jpg

I could attempt to do the rust myself but it'll end up taking longer than it should and be a bit shit.

I'll have a chat with the panel beater and see what they say 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

While i had the ute jacked up I replaced the worn out gearbag mount, The old one was well perished and soft

hvIGo0b.jpg

Spent too long figuring out the hangers and wanged this together, Really shows off my rangi muffler mods

A1DHF1u.jpg

wk48gfT.jpg

Painted the tailpipe to match everything else

KqooKqD.jpg

Test drive was a success until I arrived at bunnings and the wipers decided they wanted to work with the indicators then blow the fuse. I've got no glass fuses so have soldered some wires with terminals onto the glass fuse so I can use a blade fuse for now. The exhaust is quieter now and doesn't hit the floor so that much is a win, its got a bit of hesitation/a flat spot off idle, I'm hoping I've just put the choke cable on too tight

• Like 5