Chris' 79 Hz tonner

chris r

I've been keeping a eye out for v8 bits and it's getting more spenny than I want so I'm thinking I'll flick off the v8 stuff and give the 202 turd a polish.

Thinking a rings and bearings rebuild and possibly a mild cam. 

The exhaust is leaking a bit and hits the floor after we chopped and re welded it it when we did the clutch. So to fix that I've ordered a set of extractors from aus (cheaper to my door than I could get a set here). I'll hold off figuring out and ordering pipes and bends until after I get my hands on it again 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the exhaust barrying begin. 

The headers haven't arrived but they are 2.25" outlet. I've ordered sta finest press mandrel bends because cheap. I was figuring out what to do for mufflers and remembered I had a m&h (because cheap) chambered thing in stock so I'll use that.

I was thinking about a reso or something as well but didn't have a great time with the cheaper ones lasting. 

Was sorting through the shed and found the wrong reso I brought for the crx. I'll barry up a reducer/expander up make it meet the 2.5 of the reso. Yes it's rangi and barry spec but it's what I've got in stock and want to afford. Shits just going to end up sitting in the shed and get scrapped otherwise 

8kPVknE.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Went and got it from the lockup today

took it home and washed the genuine barn find dust has been washed off (don't tell the council). Looks okay wet, I'll have to give it a good detail one day 

SpuwMod.jpg

TWiPoUv.jpg

past me even did a oil change before I parked it up. Must be good for another 5 years at this rate

lifters still sound bad but I'll install another radio to fix that. Booked in for a wof check tomorrow. Did a light check and fondles all the grease nipples. Place bets on failure sheet now

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've found a Cain manifold locally for not a bad price I'll go collect it this week. My searching for 2 barrels that aren't hollys hasn't been successful so far. 

Also I don't like fucking around with jets and emulsion tubes etc etc 

I figured a tbi setup will be moderately less shit than a carb and heaps easier to tune. 

Ages ago a got a black injected 202 dizzy for a steal. I got a couple of spare hei modules for my old chevy van off aliexpress because cheap and spares. They provide a nice tach output and coil ignitor in one. 

I barried up a quick test tonight as a proof of concept and it does work with the 202 pickup. I didn't get a tach output but also don't have a 4 pin plug so couldn't probe stuff 

iLG1Mkg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lF946ez.gifv

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Picked up a seal kit and new pistons for the calipers. Once the new front hoses arrive I'll give the calipers a birthday. It gets a bit touchy on the first few stops and the brakes aren't as good as they used to be. Rear stuff is all new (3?years ago) so I'm picking it'll be a sticky caliper 

BZwowZv.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I ran a timing light on the tonner this morning as I think I only did it by ear when I did the points years ago. was only on 8 degrees or so. Gave it another 4 and its woken it up a bit. Still a bit of a slug but its a racing slug now. 

Scored a weber off a falcon thanks to @The Bronze for the heads up. the weber will be a good starting point while I piece together the injection stuff. If I get super keen I could do timing only initially with the ecu.. I'm torn if I be super simple and use the pickup in the dizzy and just do primitive batch fire or if I try and make up a trigger plate and mounts etc.
Could always start with dizzy trigger and learn how everything works and behaves.

I've read fuckloads and watched the hp academy stuff but I learn by doing 

• Like 3

Reading up on porting the holden six cylinder heads and it's not hard to see how it's hard to make them worse than stock 

dQXkRvB.jpg

Test fitted the manifold. I'll need to heat wrap number 5 as its really close to the starter and I'd rather not cook it. 

dOZETGs.jpg

Tacked up the first bit of the exhaust. I'm pretty confident it won't hit the floor. There is now clearance to the floor, a flexi and there will be more than two hangers at the very back of the exhaust. 

The og hanger was the perfect profile to weld to the mid muffler so I tacked it up then ran a ratchet strap under the tray to hold the other side so I had something to aim for 

Jkc6Eiy.jpg

CORk2fY.jpg

Should flow less bad than the old 2" system with 11ty press bends

Laters job will be figure out the rest of the hangers go and tack them up. 

I'll chuck another flange after the reso so it'll be easy to remove if i have to in the future. More importantly easier to weld up and refit. I've got miles of diff clearance at the moment but don't know how much lower it'll get with a load of stuff on the tray. 

If I get time I'll figure out the rear muffler and the tailpipe. One option is a 90 after the muffler and shove it out the side before the taillight. Another is straight out the back. 

I'll need to pull the calipers at some point and give them a birthday too. I'm hoping the lack of front braking is sticky calipers not a fucked prop valve 

• Like 6

Re the brakes. It's always been super touchy when cold and would lock up or be super aggressive on the first few stops when cold.

A few years ago I replaced the wheel cylinders and shoes, rear brake lines have been replaced diff hard line and soft line to diff. 

It's still touchy when cold but there is fuck all front braking going on. It'll just lock the rear in the wet or if you need to stop in a hurry. I've ordered new front hoses and will rebuild the calipers. 

It seems unlikely that both front calipers are sticky enough to cause these issues. Would I be correct in thinking the prop valve may be being a dick and sticking. Could the touchyness be a combo od booster and prop valve being a dick too 

Calipers, brackets and are getting vapor blasted, when the weber arrives I'll send that for some loving too. I (poorly) welded up the section of exhaust I've done so far and chucked some high heat paint on it. 'cured' the paint by shoving the heat gun in the end and walking off for a hour or so 

Ran out of brain so didn't do the hangers today. 

7zFmJ9G.jpg

Figured muffler position out and hot glued that on. It should clear the spare tyre. If not I'll move it over somehow. 

8RB2BeH.jpg

• Like 7