Chris' 79 Hz tonner

chris r

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last weekend neal gave me a hand and we pulled the nose cone/rad support off. There is a bit of surface rust I'd like to sort out before it gets bad. Grill has some rust spots so that'll get re chromed. I'll pull the 202 out and give it a refresh, new rings bearings and a mild cam. I'll probably get carried away and do a wire tuck/shove the battery under the tray. It'll annoy/confuse the barrys/foamers

Discussion : //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/52622-chrisr-hz-tonenr-discussion/

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

I finished painting the nosecone and its sitting waiting for a day when I go out to the lockup and fit it 

P1040756

I've been dreaming about injecting the 202 with a megasquirt or speeduio. Did some reading/thinking this morning and I have come up with a option that should work.

I think a ms1 will do the job well enough and i'll be a fun learning experience

I have a dizzy out of a red injected 202 with has the pickups inside, so I should be able to use a hei module as a signal conditioner/ignition coil driver. The 8 pin module looks like it should fit nicely where the original one sat. I just need to figure out if the megasquirt will be happy running 3 injectors as I plan on drilling/welding injector boss into the 9 port carb manifold. I'm debating about what throttlebody to use. I have a honda one from the wreck but as I saw somewhere the vn commodore thottlebodies have a idle speed motor built in which will make life easier.

I'll leave this here as a reminder and for some part numbers.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm#gm7hei

Edit:

I did a quick injector size calculator and if I have 160 hp (yeah right) I'll need bigger injectors if I'm going to use 3. I had a dig around and found 6 old honda injectors so I'll just them as they are free. I'll turn them down a tad so they fit the hose tails for the fuel rail 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

My aliexpress hei modules turned up. I ordered a couple so I have a spare. I pulled the module off the injected 202 dizzy I had and re crimped some plugs to suit the hei module. It should work the same as the original module and when I eventually get the megasquirt I'll just wire up the 4 pin plug and will have everything I need. I will need to cut a piece of aluminium to act as a heat sink/adapter for the hei module as its slightly larger then the original  

IMG_20170609_231058824

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I've fixed the first post so the pictures actually work now.

I've put the radiator support panel on and started bolting everything up. I thought I probably should turn it over since its been sitting for so long. With glens help I chucked the battery cables on and it fired up with a good dose of ether. Thats probably going to be all I do on it for the next few months

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I've replaced the rocker and side plate gaskets and given the carb a brake clean rebuild. I've got that electronic dizzy to install once I find the ht leads.

Does anyone have a spare waterneck I can have/buy? Mine is a tad fucked 

IMG_20180107_121048527.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took the old girl in for a wof. Only needed the diff brake lines replaced. 

The tappets are getting worse so I'll replace them and the cam at some point 

to two days later the mechanic still has not replaced said diff brake lines... I Did say I needed it ready tonight. I ran the gauntlet as I had to pick some stuff up and get ready for the scooter ride. I needed some tie town points for the scoots and general stuff so really splashed out.

IMG_20180118_194506046IMG_20180118_195933694

@piazzanoobs gantry is fucking awesome

IMG_20180118_190012145

She'll be right m8. perfect for a trip to waikato and back... They promised me it'll be ready tomorrow morning so heres hoping nothing else goes wrong

IMG_20180118_183933009

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing like not being able to sleep and getting frustrated in the garage because you keep fucking things up due to being tired....

IMG_20180223_231030252

I then realized I forgot some parts

IMG_20180223_231928711

Getting better...

Thought I'd check the valve stem seal o rings... They are all pinched. cunts of things

IMG_20180223_232355717

and back apart again.

Any tips on not fucking the orings? or does anyone have a less wobbly valve spring tool?

Nest question is assembling the roller rockers in the correct orientation. I can't find any destructions with the parts and a 2 minute google isnt helpful

I'll take the cam(s) into the cam guy on the way past tomorrow and see what he says

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've still got this, went down to the lockup today and grabbed it. Drip of fuel down the carb and it fired right up. It's being filmed again tomorrow for something. Now it's out I'll get it a wof then do ute stuff and put it back in the lockup for another few months(year) 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...