Honda 4Mini Dax and Chaly builds

DB8-TypeR

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DB8-TypeR said:

Looks sweet but already drag the centre stand at stock height :( you rebuilding the af05 or fitting a newer engine?

rebuild, its in pieces atm just need to commit to a bbk

also like that exhaust touches the ground when i sit on it haha

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So a bit of an update, as seen in above pics I put those rear shocks on (aliexpress 300mm long ones), needed to trim the rear guard

IMG_20171112_131012

Look pretty decent all together

IMG_20180114_192006

Started working on the Dax, engine is poked but will be robbing the head for the Chaly (72cc head so bigger valves and matches the 72cc cyl and piston better)

IMG_20180311_131748

Every single nut and bolt on the thing was wrong, and rear swing arm needed to be removed with a hacksaw. Have also accumulated a lot of parts, disc front end, new headlight/speedo, 12v LED tail light and mount, front and rear fenders, handlebars, new loom etc. Just need a swingarm, all new nuts and bolts, lifan 125cc, seat and every other little thing im forgetting

IMG_20180812_111048

Also aquired another DJ-1, its pretty fucked. Was dumped in a forestry block. But engine turns over (havnt had it running yet) and some of the plastics are better than mine

IMG_20180706_154936

Chaly has a flat tyre (second one) so is parked up as it wasnt running so well in the cold mornings on the way to work, plus want to swap a bigger carb on for some longer legs as it is painfully slow, DJ1 is still used daily

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Have started mocking up the Dax, will be a long slow process as funds allow

IMG_20181008_181910

Have also just placed an order for a extended rear swingarm, 3.5" front rim (same as Chaly) but a 4" rear rim. Its all on the slow boat from Japan so will be a while before it arrives

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Slow boat arrived the other day. 

So here's a 4"rim with 3.00 x10 tyre vs a stock 2.75"rim with 3.50x10

IMG_20181207_190849

And started mocking things up

IMG_20181208_105853

Its a 5cm longer swingarm, put the 4" rim on the front but will be running 3.5" front with 4" rear. Undecided on tyres as yet, probably go continental twist but unsure what size. 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

IMG_20190122_185736

Still accumulating bits, 125cc Semi Auto Lifan from shore50s (even comes with a 26mm carb out of the box?), major bits left to buy are the seat, tyres rear shocks and exhaust.

Once I get the tyre size and rear wheel location finalised I can make a braket to mount the rear guard as the standard location doesnt work/look good with the extended swingarm. After those bits are finalised I can pull it all apart and paint it then get it going and ride it. So still 6months away at least

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Got a safety award in the form of a prezzy card from work, so did the only logical thing and bought bike parts. Lots of little things for the Dax to keep that ticking along and a new exhaust for the chaly (which I still havnt finished attaching the new carb too)

IMG_20190324_134228

Also drove 840kms yesterday to pick up another 80s scooter, probably THE most 80s scooter as shown by the dash

IMG_20190324_131458

However it requires some assembly......

IMG_20190323_152257

• Like 4

Couldnt help myself and started assembling, will probably put it all together roughly to see if theres anything missing then pull it all apart again and clean/paint/use correct fastners

Honda spacy

Edit/ I didnt clarify. This is a 1982 CH50 Honda Spacy. Apparently 10x were imported by Honda in 1982 (this came with japanese import papers). It has a 49cc 4 stroke, ohc engine with 3 speed centrifugal automatic gearbox. Unfortuntely the previous owner has some issues and it ended up seizing this piston. 

Rather than rebuild the engine I found a replacement unit in Japan which is hopefully a runner (will find out in a couple months when the ship arrives). Other than that it appears to be mostly there and in ok condition. So will assemble, then strip down, wire wheel, paint and reassemble. Once its all running will decide if I keep this or the DJ1.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Havnt really achived much with any project, waiting for Spacy engine to arrive but have beadblasted rims, painted and fitted new tyres (thanks to mr Mopednz Callum)

IMG_20190518_174536

Chaly is waiting for parts to arrive, Dax is waiting for funds for parts, DJ1 is being used daily but will possibly be sold once spacy is reliable

• Like 5

4 hours ago, datlow said:

will that be the ride height? reckon it would look sweet/impractical(would it even turn?) lowered

Its the stock height pretty much (its on the stand so sitting slightly higher) but I do have a plan to lower it once Ive got it running.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3