Honda 4Mini Dax and Chaly builds

DB8-TypeR

Fitted a 10" Dio rear wheel with 3.50-10 tyre. Tight squeeze, had to bend number plate a little and the tyre just touches the ground when on the stand.

End result...... top speed of approx 70kp/h (goes well off the end of the 60kp/h speedo)

IMG_20170803_195331

• Like 4

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its pretty worn, I think if it was brand new it might be more of an issue. If I decide to keep the raked look will replace with a 80/90-10 and a Honda Squash rear spring to level out the height.

Will measure up the front tomorrow for you

No stress about the measurement, kinda gone a slightly different direction...

/Still curious though, so what I wanted to know was if it's 95.5 max drum and if run a straight edge across the drum how deep in the drum is the speedo drive.

Cant see a speedo drive in the wheel? Just a smooth empty drum.

In other news it has developed an issue where the rear wheel is pretty well seized and the engine wont run. Can turn the drive belt by hand off the clutch housing and it freely cranks in the starter so engine doesnt appear seized (checked the oiling system and it seems to be working). Im suspecting (hoping for) a clutch issue, maybe it doesnt like the bigger rear wheel.

Ahh that makes sense, from top of drum to bottom of slot is 5mm.

Seems to be a clutch issue, cannot freely spin the clutch bell like I think I should be able too. Rear wheels seems to be permanently engaged. I seem to recall stopping at an intersection and it kept wanting to drive off without any throttle input. Will see what I can do to get the clutch off without an impact gun or proper lock tool.

Not a brake issue, have removed rear wheel an all looks good in there, motor spins freely and there is fresh oil in auto oiler system

Found the issue, the large nut holding the clutch together had come off under the outer clutch bell thing. Now the carb seems to be stuck and its 4 stroking at anything above idle. Starting to show that it had been sitting unloved for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorted the main issues.

Speedo is now very intermittent, sometimes it decides Im doing 20kp/h regardless of if Im moving or not, sometimes its pinned off the end of the gauge. Ive tested the hub and the gauge and both are fine so I suspect the cable is broken somewhere.

Also the fuel gauge doesn't work, not the end of the world.

But its out of the shed:

Honda DJ1

And Ive riden it to work everyday so far this week

Daily

Much faster than taking the car as I can cut through a pedestrian gate to get to the workshop and shave about 1km off the trip. Takes 2min from my driveway on the way, and 3min on the way home.

• Like 4

Semi tempted, chaly currently does 0kp/h as I cant make it start. Dax is still in the garden shed in pieces and DJ could potentially make it. 

However..... at this stage Im locked into doing night shift cover on that weekend. Will try see if someone else can cover it

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Chaly has 3.50s on it as is. The centre stand rubs the chain with standard shocks though so I’ve ordered another pair to sort that out. Though this probably explains why I haven’t front guard.

Just ordered 3.50x10 white walls, and a front guard... so I guess this is where I see if it all actually fits. 

• 3 months later...