• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tell me if the noise stops when you hold the gearknob into gear

It doesn't

Take the all the belts off one by one and check for the noise

Good idea - will get motivated later, the noise is literally identical in frequency and pitch with old belts and new belts

could be the pully on the crank has worn out, the rubber that holds it together can wear and then the belt tension holds it together most of the time, but under certain loads it can't keep up? something to check...

Hmmm interesting - not something I'd considered. Any ideas of how I'd check this?

So just to add to the symptoms list.

No noise when

Car at idle.

car in neutral, regardless of rpm.

Car in gear loaded up against the handbrake but not moving.

Noise when

As soon as it's moving in gear even if just accelrating from idle @~800 rpm.

Coasting downhill with clutch in, or in neutral.

TL:DR

Moving = noise, not moving = no squeal

I can also confirm that the lights still flicker when the squeal begins

way to check is remove the belts and try to wiggle outer section of pully, or go for short drive with no belts? at least that would rule out the belt area of thinking (and alt bearings/tensioners etc) But yea the "only when moving" thing makes me think i'm not correct...

So the squeal is consistent like a clock, 5 sec on 5 sec off, no matter what speed traveling or engine rpm?

Or does it fluctuate with the speed/rpm?

Correct,5 seconds on, closer to 2 seconds off no matter what speed you're moving/gear you're in, provided you're moving. 

I'm going to suggest it is nothing rotating and its actually a seized solenoid trying to engage, failing, resetting, starting again.

The hard load of trying to move a seized solenoid will cause the lights to dim and the squeal is either a partially engaged plunger rubbing on something or it is just the electrical noise of a solenoid sticking.

What you need to find out is what electrical solenoids do you have.

I don't know these cars at all but possibly a VTEC valve but most likely because it's moving specific then a transmission item. Possibly a center diff lockup solenoid or something.

Try disconnecting any solenoid related plugs on the tranny or alternatively try disconnecting the speedo.

• Like 3

I'm going to suggest it is nothing rotating and its actually a seized solenoid trying to engage, failing, resetting, starting again.

The hard load of trying to move a seized solenoid will cause the lights to dim and the squeal is either a partially engaged plunger rubbing on something or it is just the electrical noise of a solenoid sticking.

What you need to find out is what electrical solenoids do you have.

I don't know these cars at all but possibly a VTEC valve but most likely because it's moving specific then a transmission item. Possibly a center diff lockup solenoid or something.

Try disconnecting any solenoid related plugs on the tranny or alternatively try disconnecting the speedo.

Sweet, that sounds good to me too, no VTEC, but there is ABS and a funky viscous coupling 4WD that must have some sort of solenoids in it. Next time I get some sun I'm going to pull some stuff apart!

There is no solenoid on the viscous coupler. (probably won't have one it its git abs) If it's alb there will be a electric clutch which will disengage in a abs stop.

Mine had a horrible intermittent rattke/noise that was the exhaust hitting the body.

There is no solenoid on the viscous coupler. (probably won't have one it its git abs) If it's alb there will be a electric clutch which will disengage in a abs stop.

Mine had a horrible intermittent rattke/noise that was the exhaust hitting the body.

It has ABS on the back window and ALB as a warning light so I'm guessing that = ABS.

So you're saying it won't have a viscous coupler but an electric clutch instead? Sorry if I've missed the point...!

Non alb shuttles/beagles have a viscous coupler on the drives haft.

The alb ones just have a clutch in the diff. The diff have a longer snout on them, They called it intrac before the beagles. It might even have a viscous Lsd in the back. I'll send you the manuals I have on it when to get home

• Like 1

Non alb shuttles/beagles have a viscous coupler on the drives haft.

The alb ones just have a clutch in the diff. The diff have a longer snout on them, They called it intrac before the beagles. It might even have a viscous Lsd in the back. I'll send you the manuals I have on it when to get home

Ahhh that might explain the 2 different ways I've seen to disengage 4WD...one on the gearbox and one on the snout of the diff. No idea what I have. Will have to get it up on stands...

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo - pulled plugs off the ABS pump/I don't know what it's really called - sound has disappeared. Gosh it sounds lovely without the sound!

I have spotted that chris r might be wrecking one...

http://www.danoland.com/nsxgarage/brakes/abs/abs.htm

I'm going to have a play with this tomorrow, I mean an NSX is basically the same as a Beagle...

Looks like KK was on the money with the stuck solenoid.

• Like 1