Random noise

Willdat?

Righto, new Beagle has an intermittent issue, sounds like fan belt squeal, but pretty consistent regardless of engine/road speed, ie 5 seconds of squeal - 2 seconds of peace and repeat.

- It doesn't happen at idle when stationary, but does when idling with the clutch and rolling.

- Final symptom, the lights slightly dim as the squeal begins.

Any ideas? Cheers, Will

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Belts all have tension - but are all also original looking - there's 3(!) of them, modern cars and their excessive parts made for people with tiny hands 

Another thought. Brake pads getting low and the warning strip touching the disc?

Interesting - but that'd get faster as road speed increased?

If lights be going dim when it happens, then it does point to belt slip, and alternator not making its magic.

I'm thinking this is logic, more used to fan belts that squeal - then catch up with pulley speed and stop.

Steering pump relief valve? Does it make the same noise at full lock?

Get back out there Will

Same noise at full lock. 

Cheers all, I'm a get me some new belts and find a friend with tiny hands (my wife already said no...).

Alternator bearings? belt idler being gay? does it do it at varing revs when its still?

Has it been lowered in its life? My shuttle has eaten the rubber vibration dampers on the cv shaft where it hits the chassis? one of these could be loose or something?

• Like 1

Alternator bearings? belt idler being gay? does it do it at varing revs when its still?

Has it been lowered in its life? My shuttle has eaten the rubber vibration dampers on the cv shaft where it hits the chassis? one of these could be loose or something?

Possibly alternator bearings - new belt is on its way, will install tomorrow - tried to re-tension old one today with no joy.

When the new one arrives I'll see how it goes around the block with no belt - just as an elimination tool.

When still it doesn't make a noise, regardless of revs.

I don't think it has ever been lowered, I swappped stereos between the Shuttle and Beagle tonight and it has no sign of boy germs.

Cheers for the interest, it's sooo ugly.

• 1 month later...

Possibly alternator bearings - new belt is on its way, will install tomorrow - tried to re-tension old one today with no joy.

When the new one arrives I'll see how it goes around the block with no belt - just as an elimination tool.

When still it doesn't make a noise, regardless of revs.

I don't think it has ever been lowered, I swappped stereos between the Shuttle and Beagle tonight and it has no sign of boy germs.

Cheers for the interest, it's sooo ugly.

Replaced all 3 belts, alternator, power steering and air con belts - still makes the noise. I'm suspicious it's something to do with 4WD now (Beagles are fitted with 'Real Time 4WD' similar to a CRV - perhaps it's a pump, as all diff and gearbox oil has been replaced too.

possible clutch bearing? (does your lights still dim? after the new alternator)

New belts only on today - will drive around after dark and confirm. 

I'll also have a play with clutch riding to see if it makes a difference.