Ash's A6 Carina Coupe (Lyfe)

kyteler

Yeah exactly. Their just still expensive cause they still come in new cars off the lot now so probably once they bring out the next platform their'll go down and then look at getting a low km front cut out of JAP land.

get the last model before they all come with the electronic vvtiE the 3UR's etc are getting, be fun trying to set thoughs up on an after market ECU haha

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh true, never heard about the electronic VVTI before. 

Probably not any more complicated to setup with an ECU though as I'd imagine it still runs via PWM.

Interested to hear more about the 2GR rwd gearbox mish mash.

Since they bolt up to an MR2 box for 3SGE, I would have assumed they have no issue bolting to an Altezza 6 speed either.

• Like 1

Nah it's way different. Can't remember the exact mechanics of it but in a nut shell..

Cam gear has an elec motor mounted on it, can shaft mount to the motor.

Then voltage can slow the cam down or speed it up individually right down to the milli second.

Meaning each individual cam shaft can be dialled in super accurately to the milsec at each rpm.

Pretty trick stuff, but would hate for something to go wrong with it haha

And yeah a j160 bolts up less 3 bolts. Just a torque eats them

• Like 1

Interesting about the VVTI, I guess yeah it would be a lot more precise than hydraulic with PWM.

The voice over is what really gets me creaming my pants

But remember when "beems" was a huge thing because you can use both ex and intake to endive spool then flip to help boost ign.

Now it's even more accurate. Pretty sure the 3UR has it on both in and ex cams

Just no aftermarket ECU has alowance for it yet

Maybe the link G6 extreme ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Twin headlight setup looks lush!

But I would say that haha.

4AGTE will be awesome :)

Cheers man! Had to space the inside mounts to line it up better, still a bit off by I like my cars a bit rough

The only issue now is my indicators flash real fast. Like I'm missing a bulb, but I'm not.

I'll need to compare the HL looms but I'm thinking it will be easier to just bridge the relay or if there's a different relay to make faster just pull it out.

IDK I haven't had a look yet, its one of those electrical things thats got me procrastinating haha

And yeah a 4agte is sweet, I way prefer a supercharger but cert wise and replacement/upgrade wise it just makes sense.

I'm already getting a bit of hate from the purists haha

The only issue now is my indicators flash real fast. Like I'm missing a bulb, but I'm not.

The factory twin headlight cars have their main indicators located in the front bumper.

Because the front indicators are friggen tiny and I didnt want the ugly cutouts in my bumper, I replaced the front bulbs with super bright LED replacements and then found an aftermarket flasher unit that doesnt speed up when the resistance changes. Only downside is that it wont flash faster when a bulb is missing anymore.

But you can get a flasher unit thats a plug and play swap for original one, it's in a bastard of a place somewhere near steering column under the dash though haha.

• Like 1

found an aftermarket flasher unit that doesnt speed up when the resistance changes.

But you can get a flasher unit thats a plug and play swap for original one, it's in a bastard of a place somewhere near steering column under the dash though haha.

You couldn't remember where you got your unit could you?

And yeah, as soon as it did it, i sighed cause I know I would haft to do wiring under the dash haha

Hey man.

Have a look on Ali for 4age turbo manifolds.

Cheap and these days everyone seems to think they are not too bad.

Bloody hell! $80 USD for a stainless manifold!

And yeah a gt25's pretty small, only 12-14psi, so with support I'm sure it would be sweet.

I'll see what shippings like.

But if for not much more if rather buy locally.

I'd like to try make my own as a side quest later on

• 3 weeks later...

Hey so I've been scoraging through past okdschool forums for info on products/shops

Mainly because once it's got WOF/tires/lower in the rear I want to turn my attention back to up keep and resto

I see people commenting on autodec for carpet?

I looked them up but their websites down at the moment

http://autodec.co.nz

Next is some sound deadening and I see mongoose for reasonable prices?

http://www.mongoose.co.nz/products/q-mat.html

Also any recommendations on under seal?

I've already got a black under body enamel for the diff etc and want a spray on for the chassis.

I know the spray on stuff is more pricy but time is more my biggest factory, I don't really want to be under my car for 2-4 days brushing it on.

Any experience or recommendations are welcome and would be much appreciated!!

• 1 month later...

Will you use the plug to make a mold?

Cheers man!

I'm not sure yet, it would make more sense to use the plug to make a mold to make copy's/replacements

It would haft to be two part though and I really can't be bothered haha

Would need to stock up on wax etc and it's already cost me a bit so far

To use it as the mold would mean to break it to get it out, witch also seems like a waste.

That being said I've already got bonnet molds etc at mates places so really don't need anymore unless I could sell a decent number of them, cost/ finish quality/ demand and time these things don't seem hugely viable

We'll see

• 3 weeks later...

This cracks me, in a good way.

I found this dude like 6 months before you brought it. He was after carina parts and i wanted a carina so we got talking . He wanted 5k for it and i had to stop him there, told him i paid less for a low km injected modle with mint ext. Met him at 4k and he was gonna drive it to auckland for me. D day came and the guy bailed. Said his kids wont let him. After they went back to uni and realised its still sitting there he called again but i had other plans. The deal was he didnt want it going to be "a drift car. I told him i had a mint interior for one and he almost pulled the pin thinking i was going to modify and ruin this collectors item. After failing to explain the sg modle is the bones of it ass modle i promised id keep it original, which i would have. Any way i said i didnt have 4k can you go lower, he said no ill trademe it, but then you wont know if the cars been looked after? Well thats the risk ill take.

So i send him your build post via email just to piss him off haha. Good luck on the build, im keen on a catch up if any one wants to do a celica carina corona photo shoot

• Like 3

Yeah I agree, if it were a gtr or even an ST model it would be worth restoring to full trim.

That and the 50hp 3A is pretty tiresome and it's really missing another cam and more carbs/throttles

It's not gonna be butchered or hacked though, just not done how he would have liked maybe.

It will retain the snazzy paint job he gave it though haha

Pobbably sealed in a slightly more rustic state