Johnny.race's Gasser that wont shine Discussion

JoKer

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Yeah, I reckon it was going to move bro. The bushes are recycled from off a Surf's bum setup. They cost nothing. But they are are big, they are rubber and when push comes to shove, I reckon there will be wriggle room for sideways movement. The other thing I thought about too was that I couldn't get the recommended 40 - 45 Degree angle on those top arms so thought fuck it. Run a rod and make sure that if there was some - I could control it. I still have not unpicked the diff from the chassis bench so don't know if there is going to be any binding but I reckon there won't be any. Have to see. 

If you are running shocks with not much travel it should be fine. 

I seem to remember some 4x4 things that have a factory link type suspension have a bit of angle on the upper arms and run a panhard as well 

Yeah you remember right, Surfs have angled top bars and straight bottom ones. They employ a panhard rod. I just copied what I saw Toyota had done when I was removing the bush ends. And on my car, I measured that at 50mm suspension movement up or down from planned ride height, the bar will limit lateral movement to no more than 1.8mm. I drew it up on CAD and had a look. The center to center length of the bar is 700mm and its level. But all this aside ... you can see just by looking at a triangulated 4 link setup employing any end joint that uses something made from compressible material - there is going to be sideways movement at some point. I reckon anyway.

• Like 1