Ghost's 1988 Volvo 240 Wagon

Ghost

Doesn't actually need a whole lot, everything still works as it should, drives and stops in a straight line etc.

• Tail lights, one side totally smashed and the other is cracked (someone glued another random bit of red lense where it had also been smashed.
  • Rust, around boot door and below drivers door but nothing major.
  • Tyres
  • Oil leak, the entire bottom of the engine and gearbox was covered with thick oil.

We may have resolved the oil leak last night while changing the filters and oil, appears someone damaged the seal on the old filter when it was installed.

New tail lights arrived from Germany yesterday so that will be tomorrows job.

New tyres also ordered today.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a bit slack this month, got some new plates for it and stuck them on.

Undecided if I should paint the bumpers or leave them as is, kinda suits having them the way they are?

post-10005-0-70673200-1462086576_thumb.jpg

Still need to get the missing trim pieces sorted (no one has parts for these locally?!), got a WOF on it so next weeks job is to get it registered with the new plates

Sweet! 240 wagons are my second favourite Volvos, beaten only by Amazon wagons, which I don't want to afford. I fell in love driving a friend's one around in Vancouver running my software. Such nice cars to drive!

Re the rust, it's a shame they didn't start galvanising them until later. No rust in my one, really. A piece of bare zinc in the tail gate that hasn't changed in a year :-D

Also beware pre-90 wiring, which is described as "biodegradable", can't find the picture of a rats nest of bare copper, but it happens.

Question: Are the tail lights OEM or replica? And from whom/where did you buy them? Mine are OK but some fresh ones wouldn't go astray.

• 6 months later...

She looks a very nice whale. Volvo wagons , except for the 2L 10 valve 850s, are amazing work horses, and the red blocks just won't die either. If your on Facebook look up Volvo Marketplace (nz). There's a few 240 people who would be quite interested in this little project.