Bee Chop 2016

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rattled the pontiac round as a camera car over the week. Making a one hour special for TV3 and the Beach Hop DVD.

Good to catch up briefly Mr Gasser.

The cops thing was interesting. Yep, not attracting attention is a good start but they were operating with a directive of ticketing missing front plates, noisy exhausts, and people riding round in pickup trays. So bit of intent there.

Made it much more exciting as I discovered I was minus a warrant. Got waved through two checkpoints while they were busy so must have been crossing fingers the right way.

• Like 3

so reading between the lines here (cop complainers)

If you're not involved with the event / have a sticker on your window / think you car will get pulled, trailer it or don't go?

I think that's what the organisers would prefer (& the "Law" too)

[i'm well known for missing points & things, so just ignore me]

• Like 2

Well, it's making a much bigger thing out of it than it really was but for those who weren't there to witness firsthand...

No, my strong impression is that the approach certainly wasn't in line with what the organisers and associated parties hoped for.

And as an example...on thursday morning there was a checkpoint style setup next to a bridge on way to Tairua. They were waving over any car with a "noisy" exhaust or missing a front plate and ticketing. Was a well oiled production line. Cars were back on their way quickly with a fine in the glovebox.

I have no issues with police at all. Happy to face consequences if I'm at fault. All I'm getting at is this wasn't a "poor me, I got a ticket for doing a burnout in the middle of Whanga" situation. Was a lot more calculated.

This was a response issued by a party with a long association with the Beach Hop:

Okay as most know I support the NZ Police 99.99% of the time. They have a bloody difficult job to do at the best of times and one that gets harder by the day. 

Having said that I was completely gobsmaked (as were most) at their "overtly agressive response" to a situation that didn't exist in the first place at this years Beach Hop festival. Their behaviour was nothing short of a calculated attack on the event and its participants.

I have had a long association with Beach Hop, both as a participant and sponsor/supplier, and believed the event has always had a very positive & collabartive relationship with the NZ Police. Yes there has unfortunately been occassions when police intervention has been neccessary, but for the most part these were incidents involving those with no legitimate connection to the event and of a much younger age group than that of most participants.

So what has changed since last year that warranted such an aggressive display by our boys and girls in blue? Why such a hard nosed approach. One could understand these behaviours if preceeding events had been problematic, but they haven't been. So I ask the question again, WHY?

The police will no doubt tout this out as a "tatical success" but really their actions were no more than "police management political point scoring" and served only to further alienate a significant portion of the community and leave a blemish on an otherwise extremly successful event.

One can only hope that NZ Police management will come to their senses and return to providing a more collabarative & supportive role for Beach Hop 2017 rather than again attack one of New Zealands most iconic motoring events.

So this is the .01% of the time when I can't support the police and the powers that be need to know how wrong their actions were at BH 16.

• Like 7

When the event sponsors themselves are getting ticketed, then maybe things are a little tight?

We had a good time overall, car went OK apart from some minor battery issues.

Will sort out some pictures in a day or two.

• Like 3

did anyone get a ticket who wasn't breaking a law?

also. blowers and wires, ah beach hop

Hey you kids - get off the grass!

I wish they had ticketed the 'hoon' in a stock EA Wagoon that was revving the nuts off it in neutral on Sat. night!

Complaining about cops is up there with complaining about certifiers.

Hopefully they introduce some legislation to keep fuckwits in tinted pedovans and the RB Army out of town too.

Wow, I'm an old man now.

Jeeze mate, sounds like you're joining Flyingbrick in the O/S conservative party?

Some of us just don't want to live in a predictable pastel coloured world where everybody meekly obeys the rules without question them. :badgrin:

• Like 2

A few randoms

p1080802.jpg

p1080806.jpg

p1080807.jpg

Liked this one a lot.

p1080808.jpg

Orange wagon FS for 35k

p1080810.jpg

Assume this one had a colourblind owner. Interior was bright yellow and mint green.

Hints for Leebo?

p1080820.jpg

Transit

p1080823.jpg

p1080822.jpg

This Standard had an RBsomething jammed in.

p1080825.jpg

p1080824.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...