Daves new school holden shambles

Muncie

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Roman said:

What did that rev to? Being able to rev the piss out of something can make a decent difference haha

Over the red line on tach so 6500rpm maybe a little more. 

One thing that just popped into my head is the car has massive wheels with sticky tyres if I built a small angry engine I'd probably snap cranks if it wasn't auto. 

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to do its fortnightly start and zip around the block, found if I stab the gas it pushes the crank forward and stalls instantly now FFS. however the engine sounds healthy as no rattles zero blowby it doesn't use a drop of oil..

Realistically a set of bearings and would likely be healthy again.

Do I just pull engine slap new stock bearings in fresh head gaskets and turbo it ? 

Regardless I'll get the new fuel system in get it a wof then I can use it again find some love for it and motivation again.

K24 might be down track but at least this option would get it going strong fairly easily 

Engine stand purchased last night, going to gut the L67 3.8v6 its lower k's than current engine will try find some second hand forged pistons and fit to the L67 rods and budget build a stronger engine. If no pistons can be found I'll just run stock ecotec stuff. 

Goin to build manifolds etc on gutted engine for ease then transfer it into car after i do bearings or find a healthy bottom end.

Fuck it, it's worth a try ecotecs aren't exactly worth much. Making the stock ecu run it might be a challenge but im not springing for a stand alone ecu yet.

My Uncle built this buick weapon a few years back 4.2 stroker with twin throttle body's. Made 300+ horsepower broke expensive gearboxes so he'll be a good collaboration on how to ruin a $600 car.

Screenshot_20220715-190431_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This feels like progress engine is on a stand heads are just sitting on dowels intake is just keeping dust out.

Spent 90 minutes trying to get sump plug out some cunt had ugga dugga'd it in no tool I own could shift it so welded a bolt to it and beat it loose with a hammer.

I want the sump off so I can weld a -8 drain fitting in for the turbo on to it.

Will hollow engine out as a dummy block for building manifolds Using car for measuring clearances to other things.

20220724_182439.jpg

• 2 months later...

Will be giving the old engine its last hurrah at drag day I'll try dropping some different tunes in it see if it makes a shred if difference. I just want a number to improve on later be happy if it beats my Triumphs 17.4 to be honest.

Means I need a Wof. Should be easy enough.

Will bring a spill kit in case the crank falls out.......

• Like 1

$150 worth of parts phew was worried they would be expensive.

The radius rod bushes would of been destroyed from when I worked at an airfield from doing 1/2 mile flat out blasts down the runway then jumping on the picks. The new ones should last way longer with what's planned I'll have a good poke around under there ive got a box of spare new bushes will try get them in.

• Like 1

Punched through the cunt jobs on the list today hand brake and drivers seat free movement.

Both required removal of the drivers seat so was quite pleased to nail that in one hit, the electric seat motor had 2 plastic bushes that were various states of crumbs.

Tried online NLA doubt they were ever available seeing as ive got 28 days to sort it I elected for the weld the whole fucking assembly together option.

This will only bite me in ass if I ever have to dismantle the drive motors chances of that that are slim to none so no free movement and zero $ spent.

Now to wait on overnight parts from Brisbane that may take a bit of time.

IMG_20221016_203318_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_20221016_203253_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3

Then just a nail to flick out of rear tyre and thats 3 off the list.

Oil weeping was a oil pressure switch that farted and shit the bed ages ago I just swapped it for one off my spare engine.

Headlight aim is 1 turn each with a Phillips head each currently aiming little higher as stock is shit light throw but wof guy insists it must be stock.

• Like 2

All parts arrived today so smashed out last of wof stuff tonight in about an hour brake pads, radius bushes, nail in tyre and adjusted head lights.

Gave it a bit of a thrashing happy with how it goes now, got some service parts to throw in before drag day. 

Online Autoparts came through with goods again used em a few times 

IMG_20221019_184231_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 2

Legal beagle again see everyone at drag day where I expect to compete with company Corrola's and perhaps mopeds.

May Jack my self up on red bull and aim for the perfect reaction time.

True goal is just a baseline and next year come back turbo and try shave 5 seconds off.

received_632010505094240.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 fresh tanks through now all the weird shit it was doing has not reappeared. Still has more crank end float then it should Meh! It drives so much nicer than the 2022 Mitsubishi ASX I daily for work and gets pretty close to same economy.

I never got a chance to enjoy the new stereo I put in its bloody epic now all the new speakers have started to free up and sound crisp.