Daves new school holden shambles

Muncie

4 hours ago, glen said:

long time listener first time caller.

Have you seen any of the Richard Holdener videos on the old YouTube about this motor ? he was a tech editor for hot rod / motortrend and has done loads of vids covering stock ls turbos etc.

playlist below from youtube for like 30vids  going through a ton of options on the L67 3.8v6, he even built a twin charged one at some point. Made around 600hp at the crank with a gt45 

Yeah been watching his stuff, I was keen for ages to run twin charged but tuning it myself would of been a nightmare, so I got rid of the blower and just bought a decent quality turbo its not a garrett but its decent and the brand has an excellent reputation on turbo LS stuff.

I'm currently at a crossroad considering doing a rebore fitting new pistons and opening the ring gaps up.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled the heads off a while back on the l67 have come to conclusion..... its fucked heads are full of cracks and bores are scratched to shit looks like someone pushed on with a skid when it was clearly starting to seize.

I'm tossing up throwing a set of good rods and forged pistons at the bottom end some ecotec heads as I don't need the injectors in the ports anymore.

Or.......... fitting a honda k24 and not wasting my money on the buick the turbo ive bought would be excellent.

• Like 4

The poor neglected thing hasn't had a tank of gas for 6 months wof ran out march.

Will drive it around and get the fuel tank emptied get the new fuel pump fitted and think more about an engine swap everything ive bought so far bar the head gaskets will work well on another engine.

Hmm what would the purists think of this combo.

Just spitballing but would give me everything I want.

images (1) (12).jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GARDRB said:

It's cool and all, but what would it be like off boost?

Probably no worse than an Accord a high stall converter would liven it up.

Have had a Type S CL7 Accord a few years back stock it was awesome.

Ive gotta remember I'm 40+ now so I'll 90% of the time just be cruising around so peaky kinda suits my needs lazy normal driving and on boost like a bottle rocket would work.

47 minutes ago, Muncie said:

If it wasn't for price of petrol there'd already be one in the garage.

I don't understand, you haven't driven it for months and you are worried about the price of petrol?

If you want an economy car buy a Yaris.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nominal said:

I don't understand, you haven't driven it for months and you are worried about the price of petrol?

If you want an economy car buy a Yaris.

Engine has so much endfloat the crank angle sensor sometimes struggles to find a signal if I brake too hard. I drive it but nowhere getting out and booting the harmonic balancer back in would cause issues/road rage.

Barra is a fucking fantastic engine but it is huge and capable of making more power than my licence can handle,

And there is already a  Barradore on the forum that's going to be way more epic than I could hope to build.

If I can build something that makes good reliable power that doesn't destroy gearboxes and diffs that would be ace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/06/2022 at 22:37, Muncie said:

Probably no worse than an Accord a high stall converter would liven it up.

Have had a Type S CL7 Accord a few years back stock it was awesome.

Ive gotta remember I'm 40+ now so I'll 90% of the time just be cruising around so peaky kinda suits my needs lazy normal driving and on boost like a bottle rocket would work.

In that case I vote do it

If you're planning on using the 4 speed auto it's going to be pretty punishing with that 1st to 2nd gear gap. 

Also the final drive ratio in the 3.something is going to reaaaalllllyyy kill a smaller motor. 

Are there any options in the high 3 or low 4 to 1 region for final drive? 

@Roman was joking about a 1nz swap....

I'd definitely do new crown wheel and pinion anyway whatever engine goes in as that was always on cards easily available new and fairly cheap.

Would give any transmission a go if it bolted up fairly easily. If the 6 stays in I'll keep the 4 speed just because it works.

Hmm 

For shits and giggles though give me the 1nz numbers for "educational purposes"

GM 4L60E 4-speed Automatic Transmission

First: 3.06
Second: 1.63
Third: 1.00
Fourth: 0.70

Final drive currently 3.08 could be anything in future.

Curb weight 1522kg

Sedan      Wagon     One Tonner
Wheelbase (mm):                 2788       2938        3200
Front track (mm):               1569       1569        1569
Rear track (mm):                1587       1587        1597
Overall length (mm):            4891       5046        5230
Overall width (mirrors) (mm):   1842       1847        2047
Overall height (mm):            1450       1545        1507
Ground Clearance (mm):           150        153         132

Wheels and tyres

Are 245/40/19 

Coefficient of drag 0.319

Yeah your car is literally twice as heavy as anything that suits a 1.5 litre engine hahaha. 
But cos it's a laugh, here we are. 

Alright so this is all of the above data, no weights changed but just engines swapped. 
Still auto trans and a 3.3 final drive. 

NA 1NZFE, since this is the least suitable option I'm assuming it's doorty so 160hp @ 8000rpm with 9000 limiter. 
Turbo 1NZFE 300hp @ 8000, 9000rpm limit 
NA K24A is the best standard power version, 204hp 7600 limiter
Turbo K24A is 300hp @ 7000rpm 7600 limiter

image.thumb.png.a0a89ce5e15d40742041b80d00c46025.png

If you want to try any of these numbers a bit different, let me know 

image.png.cf7f2b149753950c05f234f77ca4e814.png

• Like 2