Daves new school holden shambles

Muncie

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AllTorque said:

I remember seeing a turbo commy years ago with the turbo mounted between the radiator and the engine.

I've had a lot of issues with crank angle sensors so much so I'm going to build the exhaust crossover pipe as low as possible so I can still get the harmonic balancer off.

turbo is all v band though so would be easy to pull it off if it did clash with servicing the front of engine.

• Like 1

Found an old build thread from 2010 of a vs wagon a guy put a monster turbo on, turns out if you flip the passengers manifold it's perfect. Just needs flange lopped off a 45 degree bend welded on and old Egr port once reemed out will be a mint wastgate location.

Also driver side if I use a passengers manifold supposedly should exit under power steering pump ready to just cross over. 

20220111_095444.jpg

• Like 3

Just ordered a PULSAR 60mm wastegate to match the turbo direct from overseas 1/2 the price of the nz supplier. 

60mm in my head sounds so fucking huge! Guess I'm not pissing around with a small engine though.

If I can do a mid 13 second quarter with this combo I'll be over moon I'll be even happier if it does it without breaking the driveline immediately.

Screenshot_20220111-191046_eBay.jpg

• Like 3

More overnight parts from Japan  Sydney wastegate arrived its a whopper! shoebox size package

My possibly knock off 850cc Siemens Deka injectors arrived, these are what all the cool kids with turbo commodores run, I also have a map to flash in the ecu that will run these with a LS1 maf swaying my decision a bit to get them.

List of things to buy has pretty much been completed for the big ticket stuff.

Time to start fabricating pipework and whip the sump off to weld in a drain for the turbo drain,parts are coming for that.

IMG_18012022_192242_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_18012022_192248_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 4

Decided I should do some QC on my wastegate seeing as it was reasonably priced and the turbo represents the most expensive car part I've ever bought actually more than the engine itself, seemed like good thing to do.

Glad I checked as it had both springs loaded in it one of which can hold most of my body weight, enough spring to send my head gaskets to the moon.

Only one small bit of swarf attached is all I found it's just above the seat so would of just burnt off but I took it off anyway all in all pretty happy with rest of the wastegate.

IMG_22012022_183826_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_22012022_183832_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Spent today chopping up what to some is a valuable engine loom, this was so I could build a bench test setup allowing me to connect and make changes to the ecu out of the car.

I've found it sucks doing this in the car any change like a drop in voltage accidentally disconnecting the usb etc can potentially brick the ECU ive come close once or twice and got lucky.

I can also take it away with me on work trips and sit undisturbed to make changes in a hotel room using a 12v power supply to run the ecu. 

Only 11 wires but I decided to de-pin all the connectors so I wasn't left with unused stubbs of wire poking out to potentially short 3/4 were pre handled by someone with dick fingers so took 2 hours to do this all.

IMG_07022022_152054_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_07022022_152108_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_07022022_152130_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3

Also made up oil and water line fittings and got those fitted up for good to turbo all nice speedflow stuff. 

Oil supplied with an4 with 1mm Restrictor fitted drain will be an8 hopefully its big enough should only be a dribble being roller bearing.

Water done in an6 just have to find somewhere to tap in for those I have to run water for the turbo warranty and keep it under 40psi...... can't see that being an issue.

20220207_122740.jpg

• Like 2

Just found my set of carbide burrs I lost 15 years ago so I have the gear to hog out the ports on the heads. I've been in 2 minds about doing the head gaskets because money, but this engine isn't new and it's going to see a bucket load of boost so I should probably throw some Cometic multi layer gaskets in it and ARP head studs. 

Who knows the sump is coming off to do the turbo drain I might throw some ARP bolts in down there too if I can get them.

I went big with the turbo as I've always wanted to build a 4.2 stroker engine later down track. my uncle was running one in his offroader that was making 400hp naturally aspirated so I've got his brain to pick on what to use, that's the long game who knows maybe I just rebuild it stock stroke and rev it to the moon that also seems to work.

• Like 2

Pulled the heads today glad I did as the bolts hardly put up a fight my boy who's 12 broke them loose without even grunting. Heads gaskets are possibly original heads just lifted off no need to pry at all.

Thought I had a crack between valves on 1 cylinder but was just some flaky carbon that came off with a scratch of a screwdriver.

IMG_12022022_172012_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_12022022_172028_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3

1 cylinder has seen some oil down the inlet valve, stem seals are pretty old so I'll give the heads a bit of a tidy up valve grind and get them back on and just send it. if it shits itself I'll build something better...... or bolt the turbo to a $400 K24 and slam that in

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Muncie said:

Well we all know nothing beats a modern day supercar like an echo. Moderately  quick 5 seater couch is the goal here budget is pretty similar though.

Mine isnt really a 13 second car in the way that others are though - it's mainly just because of the tyres. 
Which on one hand goes to show yet again how important the right tyre for the job is.

However street cars which do mid 13s on street tyres, that's a really proper fast car.
Look forward to seeing how this comes together 

12 hours ago, shrike said:

So arp head studs and new gaskets the plan?

Soooo keep winding up the boost until you run out of fuel or something lets go then?

Yeah pretty much.... got 850cc injectors and a big fuel pump so should have enough juice to feed it till the rods fall in to the sump. No shortage of turbo either will probably take it to 15psi and see what noises it makes, I might choose to let it live.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

long time listener first time caller.

Have you seen any of the Richard Holdener videos on the old YouTube about this motor ? he was a tech editor for hot rod / motortrend and has done loads of vids covering stock ls turbos etc.

playlist below from youtube for like 30vids  going through a ton of options on the L67 3.8v6, he even built a twin charged one at some point. Made around 600hp at the crank with a gt45