Daves new school holden shambles

Muncie

Have found a usable map for the vy ecu, Its a tune people use with a top end swap where a l67 top end is fitted to an ecotec so will be a good starting point.

You sacrifice control of the supercharger bypass valve which still works as intended the ecu just cant open it under certain events which appears would be limp mode anyway.

Will need an uprated fuel pump as the l67 is dual speed with more flow so will just throw a decent aftermarket pump in and run single speec to keep everything simple.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New engine arrived at work today from Wellington, while i was off sick which is balls means im going to have to go to work tomorrow instead of having another sick day.

Anyway i got stuck into a transmission fluid change as it has been in there ages and smelled slightly funky.

Resized_20210428_054946.jpeg

Whoever decided to not put a drain bung in the pan of this needs a dick punch huge mess, but overall easy job good to check it out no real sludge or anything in there.

Will dump again when i do shift kit which will ensure all the old fluid is flushed out of system 

IMG_29042021_163422_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 1

Currently trying to decide if going turbo would be worth doing in scheme of things i could have a manifold and turbo on for $1200 bucks. Would simplify the exhaust for me....

I would really struggle to talk myself out of taking the blower off though. Why not both? Thats what i keep telling myself.

Then i remember my Transmission has been labeled the box of neutrals by the internet which brings me back to reality.

Screenshot_20210429-165537_Trade Me.jpg

• Like 1

New engine is home so finally got a chance to look it over...... its fucking filthy! Power steering hoses must of leaked forever and they just topped it up.

Cool stuff though after a casual poke around.

Billet mace engineering oil cap cheesy but cool, A mace modular blower pulley setup has been fitted so its a piece of cake to change sizes/boost

Egr delete has been done on head fully gone!

New looking water pump, belts and rear main seal have been done recently.

It came with the pcm bcm and ignition key so i could potentially just slam it in if its compatible with my cars body loom.

The Meh stuff.

Doesn't have the flexplate as it was a manual. theyre balanced different to the ecotec I'll ask around i may be able to get my ecotec one balanced to suit i will be using an ecotec transmission anyway. Not end of world.

Loom has some twist and tape joins on the trans section of loom easily reversed but the pcm will have to have had some reflash to allow the manual to work. 

The exhaust manifolds have lots of snapped bolts..... it obviously had headers which they kept.

• Like 2

I didn't even get it in garage before waterblasting the shit out of it! Less greasy its obviously had some love in past as it looks ok.

Now to plan, do i pull the heads and clean the ports up fit studs and new head gaskets........ or just get it in hmmm.

IMG_03052021_205134_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_03052021_205150_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_03052021_205208_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

IMG_03052021_205217_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Randomly shit a coil pack on the ecotec last week limped home running on 4 fitted a spare complete ignition module from my hoard back in action and only hour late to work.

Something must of caused it though so rockauto'd some new plugs what do ya know 2 melted electrodes so probably 2mm spark plug gap that'll do it. 

20210511_204924.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Muncie said:

Been running stock ECU so shouldn't be the tune..... will get some new oxy sensors as they're old as fuck and a new fuel filter just in case my my fuel pressure is a bit sad. Looks very lean.

I think the lean is your key to that electrode melting, shit got far too choochie. 

2 minutes ago, kyteler said:

I think the lean is your key to that electrode melting, shit got far too choochie. 

Was expecting this to die 18 months ago thrashed snot out of it ran it on kerosene while i got it for free. Played with tuning etc its been through a lot and just keeps running doesn't burn oil or use water....... now ive said this it'll probably blow a head gasket on way to work tomorrow.

Just needs to last till i get new engine in.

• Like 3

Stripped off the rocker covers, throttle body and manifold from throttle to supercharger for a trip to the parts cleaner at work, bit greasy externally but internally everything's tidy especially the rocker covers.

Pretty sure this engine has had a leaking power steering pump or hose failure which has showered the engine in oil attracted dust and not been cleaned up.

No warning bells so far everything looks good.

Going to port the throttle body and inlet manifold to the supercharger as there's meat to spare for sure.... maybe a v8 throttle body if i can find one with a cable.

• Like 1

Came up a treat! No before photos cause who needs to see gross v6 stuff.

Will paint the rocker covers got plenty of colours at moment will need to decide. They'll go back on for now to make engine watertight so i can go to town with the degreaser again to get the rest of the gunk and paint the block.

IMG_14052021_070528_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dragged home a very sad Alloytech tonight its seized but will donate all its sensors ignition coils,  possibly valve springs for my scooter.

And also some bolts for the supercharged engine that i seem to be missing

If anyone needs some Alloytech longblock parts pm me as its off to scrap as soon as i have picked its bones.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Secured a job with a company vehicle so can afford to get stuck into this and have it off the road soon.

Current plan is to pull loom off l67 and track down a stock vy ecotec loom and extend the required connections injectors throttle body etc, maybe fit some new plugs if they are crunchy.

I want to get a intercooler plate under the blower before it goes in as well they are $1500 so will need to find that first, this alone should give a 50kw gain over stock.

Tossing up between a stock twin HSV v8 exhaust, and building a 3.5" single system unsure if i want some noise or dead quiet the supercharged engines actually sound alright but i do like the idea of a sleeper.

Screenshot_20210419-201618_Trade Me.jpg

9 hours ago, chasinthemirage said:

What about building an exhaust system with flanges or v band clamps so you could have a muffler that could be easily swapped out with a section of pipe if you want some more noise? Best of both worlds that way maybe?

On my supercharged vx i scored a full Remus system basically the same pipework as an HSV System but has a single twin in twin out middle muffler that tucked well up in the tunnel. The rear muffler was also twin in twin out with slip joints it sounded awesome with the back muffler off dumped at diff but was a bit to loud.

The whole system though was quiet (for a performance system) had a real deep mettalic sound to it obviously flowed well.

Tempted to replicate the remus system with a bigger middle muffler and v banded big muffler at back so it flows well and is quiet but can drop the back off for noise and max flow without it been too loud, these things shriek with the boost wound up!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/05/2021 at 21:15, Muncie said:

Was expecting this to die 18 months ago thrashed snot out of it ran it on kerosene while i got it for free. Played with tuning etc its been through a lot and just keeps running doesn't burn oil or use water....... now ive said this it'll probably blow a head gasket on way to work tomorrow.

First day at new job she started randomly dying full engine shut down no sputtering rev counter straight to  zero fortunately i was only going to pick up my work ute.

Suspect ive killed another crank angle sensor (number 3 its deaded) though could be an ignition module i have new one so will try that first.

Im going to have think about improving this with new engine getting to be pain in ass.

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with Haltec ECU'S? I want to retain the factory one for transmission duties only and get a standalone unit to run the engine and ignition, and also allow me to run a better crank trigger.

iv played with keeping the delco controlling the trans only, and results in average trans control (also need the factory ecu to keep the ABS and dash happy), the way the triggering/ignition work on the v6 makes it a bit of a pain to do piggyback with  an aftermarket ecu, would suggest looking into using an vy supercharged ecu convert to  an nvram  board to realtime tune with it, dunno why your having so many issues with crank  triggers they  are normally ok once replaced with a decent sensor unless the balancer is wonky and eating sensors or other wiring issue going on 

9 hours ago, vk327 said:

iv played with keeping the delco controlling the trans only, and results in average trans control (also need the factory ecu to keep the ABS and dash happy), the way the triggering/ignition work on the v6 makes it a bit of a pain to do piggyback with  an aftermarket ecu, would suggest looking into using an vy supercharged ecu convert to  an nvram  board to realtime tune with it, dunno why your having so many issues with crank  triggers they  are normally ok once replaced with a decent sensor unless the balancer is wonky and eating sensors or other wiring issue going on 

I'll pop harmonic balancer off and see what its up to and if its indeed eating sensors it didn't seem to to have made contact.

I need to replace o2 sensors have logged them theyre poked probably original new engine doesn't have any on it. Have replaced the DFI with new one so far is behaving.

Curious why you recommend the upgraded pre flash ecu over the later type? Noob question but if anyone knows it'll be the guy who works with them frequently.